PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting agent went into rental without permission

Hi,
My daughter and son in law have told their landlady that they don't wish to renew their tenancy after two and a half years of (almost) problem free renting.
The Tenancy finishes in five weeks time and they have seen it advertised but have had no viewings, my daughter noticed a week or so ago that the flat using old photos was taken down. She then spotted yesterday that the letting agents have put another advert up using photographs of the flat with their furniture and several photographs of my grandson along with his name in large letters on the wall of his bedroom and school certificates! They have obviously entered the flat while my daughter and Son-in Law have been at work and taken these photographs without permission or notice. This is a well known estate agent! When they phoned yesterday they were told that it was miscommunication between themselves and the landlady. Most of the photos were taken off.
Although still leaving one showing my grandson and school certificates, this has now been taken down.. We have asked for a full report of how this happened. The Letting Agents have now admitted that it was a junior member of staff who is at fault and the Branch has apologised.
We want some redress for this as my daughter is very upset by this, what should they do when they have the report? The landlady who apologised on behalf of the Letting Agents wants to have new photographs taken which of course my daughter has agreed to as per the Contract with the correct notice. Any advise on how they stand legally?

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It was a mistake, and they've apologised. What more do you want?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I would be amazed if the letting agent supplies you with a full report into how this happened. The agency has apologised and if your daughter is concerned about it happening again she can change the barrel in the lock. That would stop them coming in unannounced.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    crisN wrote: »
    She then spotted yesterday that the letting agents have put another advert up using photographs of the flat with their furniture and several photographs of my grandson along with his name in large letters on the wall of his bedroom and school certificates!

they were told that it was miscommunication between themselves and the landlady. Most of the photos were taken off.

Although still leaving one showing my grandson and school certificates, this has now been taken down.

the Branch has apologised.

We want some redress for this as my daughter is very upset by this,

A mistake was made and corrected and an apology given.

Tell your daughter to grow up and get over it.

In their next rental, they could change the locks so that no-one can enter without their permission.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    what redress are you seeking.....it may be best that you now take your issue up directly with the LA as it is them you have the issue with.

I agree that what they have done is not acceptable and if your LL has also apologised on the LA's behalf there is little more the LL can do.

so what is it exactly you want from the agent....put your request in writing to them and await their response.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi,
    My daughter and son in law have told their landlady that they don't wish to renew their tenancy after two and a half years of (almost) problem free renting.
    The Tenancy finishes in five weeks time and they have seen it advertised but have had no viewings, my daughter noticed a week or so ago that the flat using old photos was taken down. She then spotted yesterday that the letting agents have put another advert up using photographs of the flat with their furniture and several photographs of my grandson along with his name in large letters on the wall of his bedroom and school certificates! They have obviously entered the flat while my daughter and Son-in Law have been at work and taken these photographs without permission or notice. This is a well known estate agent! When they phoned yesterday they were told that it was miscommunication between themselves and the landlady. Most of the photos were taken off.
    Although still leaving one showing my grandson and school certificates, this has now been taken down.. We have asked for a full report of how this happened. The Letting Agents have now admitted that it was a junior member of staff who is at fault and the Branch has apologised.
    We want some redress for this as my daughter is very upset by this, what should they do when they have the report? The landlady who apologised on behalf of the Letting Agents wants to have new photographs taken which of course my daughter has agreed to as per the Contract with the correct notice. Any advise on how they stand legally?
    You don't get compo for being upset...

Legally she could deny them taking any photos at all.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Change the locks because they'll probably try to let themselves in for viewings too, if they're prone to 'miscommunications'.
  • This is first post and I would like to Thank you for your mostly unfriendly, unhelpful replies, my daughter isn't seeking compensation or I would have said this, they have breached the contract and even if this was an error, it's a pretty large error which needs looking into and ensuring that this doesn't happen again.
    Putting photographs of my Grandson with his name address and school without either the knowledge or permission of his parents is a big deal and illegal. I can understand why my daughter is upset.
    I am pretty sure that you are not allowed to change locks on a rented accommodation without passing a key to the landlady.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So if not compo then what 'redress' do you want ? You've had an apology and an assurance it won't happen again

Maybe a public flogging of the staff member ?
    A full page ad in the local rag apologising ?

And as for changing the locks - you're wrong ;)
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Well, what "redress" are you looking for then?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is first post and I would like to Thank you for your mostly unfriendly, unhelpful replies, my daughter isn't seeking compensation or I would have said this, they have breached the contract and even if this was an error, it's a pretty large error which needs looking into and ensuring that this doesn't happen again.
    Putting photographs of my Grandson with his name address and school without either the knowledge or permission of his parents is a big deal and illegal. I can understand why my daughter is upset.
    I am pretty sure that you are not allowed to change locks on a rented accommodation without passing a key to the landlady.

well what were you expecting? She got an apology.

No, putting up photographs of children is NOT illegal.

Yes, you are allowed to change locks.

Here's an idea (I can see this being upset and offended things is hereditary) - don't be upset, read what people have said - it is helpful, its just not what you wanted to hear/read.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure