ESA rates of pay

Options
Good Afternoon everybody. Am after a bit of advice re. ESA rates of pay. Take the following (as yet hypothetical) scenario:

Mr XYZ is currently in the support group for ESA, lives with his partner and carer Ms ABC

Following a WCA he gets put into the work group for ESA

How is this going to affect his income, given that he's currently on income related ESA, which I believe includes a disablity enhancement payment (or something like that)

Would Ms ABC be advised to claim Carers Allowance to compensate for loss of income?

Where can they go for benefits advice? CAB?

Thx.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good Afternoon everybody. Am after a bit of advice re. ESA rates of pay. Take the following (as yet hypothetical) scenario:

Mr XYZ is currently in the support group for ESA, lives with his partner and carer Ms ABC

Following a WCA he gets put into the work group for ESA

How is this going to affect his income, given that he's currently on income related ESA, which I believe includes a disablity enhancement payment (or something like that)

Would Ms ABC be advised to claim Carers Allowance to compensate for loss of income?

Where can they go for benefits advice? CAB?

Thx.
    WRAG payments depend on when the person first claimed ESA. If it was after April 2017 then there's no extra money and the claimant would be on the same rate as before £73.10 single claim and £114.85 couple rate. If it was before April then you add £29.05 onto the above rates. Back dated money is paid from week 14 of the claim claim started before April 2017.

Enhanced disability premium is only payable on the WRAG if the claimant is recieving Enhanced daily living PIP or high rate care DLA.

Carers Allowance can only be claimed if the person being care for is claiming a qualify benefit. Daily living PIP/ DLA care.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    WRAG payments depend on when the person first claimed ESA. If it was after April 2017 then there's no extra money and the claimant would be on the same rate as before £73.10 single claim and £114.85 couple rate. If it was before April then you add £29.05 onto the above rates. Back dated money is paid from week 14 of the claim claim started before April 2017.

Enhanced disability premium is only payable on the WRAG if the claimant is recieving Enhanced daily living PIP or high rate care DLA.

Carers Allowance can only be claimed if the person being care for is claiming a qualify benefit. Daily living PIP/ DLA care.

Some of this is correct and some isn't.

The person in question is currently in the Support Group of ESA which is probably why they are getting the Enhanced Disability Premium. (does not have to be for awards of DLA/)PIP

For more information OP it would help if you could tell us whether this is a joint claim and whether the person is receiving DLA/PIP and at which rates.

And yes, CAB would be able to help by doing a benefit check and possibly helping with an appeal to be put back into the Support Group (if this was relevant)
  • poppy12345
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Some of this is correct and some isn't.

The person in question is currently in the Support Group of ESA which is probably why they are getting the Enhanced Disability Premium. (does not have to be for awards of DLA/)PIP

For more information OP it would help if you could tell us whether this is a joint claim and whether the person is receiving DLA/PIP and at which rates.

And yes, CAB would be able to help by doing a benefit check and possibly helping with an appeal to be put back into the Support Group (if this was relevant)
    Thanks for that, i missed that part where it said support group.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 10:43PM
    Options
    A)
    If the ESA claim has been claimed from prior to April 2017
    and if the claimant has PIP Daily Enhanced or DLA Care Higher
    Then the difference will be minimal..a loss of about £7.50 per week

B)
    and if the claimant does not have PIP Daily Enhanced or DLA Care Higher...Then the difference will be a loss of about £30 per week.

C)
    If the ESA claim has been claimed after April 2017
    Then the difference is going to be a loss of about £36.60 a week

D)
    and if the claimant does not have PIP Daily Enhanced or DLA Care Higher Then the difference is going to be a loss of about £59 per week.

In all scenarios the partner should claim Carer's Allowance.

If you tell me which one it is, I can tell you if it would be better for CA and Income Support to be claimed, and ESA to be reduced to either ESA C or ESA NI credits
  • micky2phones
    Options
    epitome wrote: »
    A)
    Then the difference will be minimal..a loss of about £7.50 per week

B)
    and if the claimant does not have PIP Daily Enhanced or DLA Care Higher...Then the difference will be a loss of about £30 per week.

C)
    Then the difference is going to be a loss of about £36.60 a week

D)
    and if the claimant does not have PIP Daily Enhanced or DLA Care Higher Then the difference is going to be a loss of about £59 per week.

In all scenarios the partner should claim Carer's Allowance.

If you tell me which one it is, I can tell you if it would be better for CA and Income Support to be claimed, and ESA to be reduced to either ESA C or ESA NI credits

Great post
  • Attila_the_Bun
    Attila_the_Bun Posts: 338 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2017 at 11:21AM
    Options
    Thanks folks, very helpful. To answer your points:
    • Mr XYZ has been on ESA for years due to long term mental health condition
    • The claim is in his name, but covers both him and Ms ABC
    • He gets PIP. Think it's the enhanced one (or whatever it's called) but not sure. He gets £77-something a week PIP payments.
    • She has (so far) never claimed Carers Allowance for fear it'll mess up his benefits and they'll lose certain entitlements (eg free prescriptions, dentist)

Btw don't think Income Support exists anymore?
  • epitome
    edited 6 December 2017 at 10:13PM
    Options
    Thanks folks, very helpful. To answer your points:
    • Mr XYZ has been on ESA for years due to long term mental health condition
    • The claim is in his name, but covers both him and Ms ABC
    [*]He gets PIP. Think it's the enhanced one (or whatever it's called) but not sure. He gets £77-something a week PIP payments.
    PIP care enhanced is £83.10 a week, so it sounds like it is standard on mobility and standard on care which would be
    £22 + £55.65 = £77.65
    [*]She has (so far) never claimed Carers Allowance for fear it'll mess up his benefits and they'll lose certain entitlements (eg free prescriptions, dentist)
    She should make the claim, and ask if it can be backdated at all, maybe up to 3 months? They won't lose anything.
    Btw don't think Income Support exists anymore?
    Yes it does, for carers, lone parents, young people in college, and people who are on Statutory Sick Pay.

Mrs ABC claims Carer's Allowance, when it is awarded, it will be recovered against ESA, but then you have the option to reduce ESA to ESA Conts or ESA NI credits. and MRS ABC makes a claim for Income Support.

Income Support basic rate would be
    £114.85
    £46.40
    Total £161.25

ESA in WRAG will be
    £114.85
    £29.05
    Total £143.90

Income Support is the better option, for now, but, if you appeal the WRAG and win SG

ESA would be
    £114.85
    £36.60
    £22.85
    Total £174.30

This beats income Support, but, you would only get arrears paid for any period that ESA IR was in payment, you would get no arrears for a period when income Support was paid.

So you decide what to claim.

Oh and claiming Carers Allowance would increase all the above (overall, i.e. between the both of you) by £34.95 a week
  • Griffo7
    Options
    Hi all after some information I applied for esa back in July 2017 and had a letter to say I needed to get some medical evidence to prove this otherwise I would not be paid I’ve sent the medical evidence proving this on the 23rd November2017 along with my monthly doctors note and had a message to say they have received the notes will I be backdated my money when I next get paid on the 11rh December 2017
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Griffo7 wrote: »
    Hi all after some information I applied for esa back in July 2017 and had a letter to say I needed to get some medical evidence to prove this otherwise I would not be paid I’ve sent the medical evidence proving this on the 23rd November2017 along with my monthly doctors note and had a message to say they have received the notes will I be backdated my money when I next get paid on the 11rh December 2017[/QUOTE]
    Did your money stop because you didn't send in the fit/sick note on time? If so then as long as your fit note was dated correctly then yes you'll be paid what they owe you.
  • epitome
    edited 7 December 2017 at 11:03AM
    Options
    Griffo7 wrote: »
    Hi all after some information I applied for esa back in July 2017 and had a letter to say I needed to get some medical evidence to prove this otherwise I would not be paid I’ve sent the medical evidence proving this on the 23rd November2017 along with my monthly doctors note and had a message to say they have received the notes will I be backdated my money when I next get paid on the 11rh December 2017

Apart from the 3 day delay, what is your question?

If you have enough to live on wait and see what you get on Monday.

If you don't, phone and ask for it to be stopped and re-issued as a faster payment. This would have to be done today.

If you have already been paid for example £146.20 on 27/11/17 then no point phoning because they will not fast pay your arrears.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure