PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

RICS Full Building Survey Costs & Timeframe

Options
We have contacted a number of RICS surveyors from the details on the website to find a local one (unfortunately there aren't many). I've contacted all 6. One came back saying they don't cover the area, one saying they don't do full surveys only Homebuyers (which in my experience are useless). So far we've only had one quote so far of £750+Vat.

We are keen to have this done. The property is a canal side bungalow, we think around 40-50s but as yet no one can confirm (vendor died) showing signs of damp, with a woodland area too and we are planning significant renovation and extension, therefore we don't want any hidden surprises. We are also keen that they survey looks for JKW although I know this may be difficult due to the time of year.

I'm not sure how reasonable this quote is as I have nothing to compare it to. Also, in terms of timescales is it wise to let Barclays conplete their standard valuation first (included in the mortgage offer) before instructing a surveyor. I'm just cluless at what is the best point in the timeline to instruct the surveyor.

Thanks

Comments

• Fed
    Fed Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 December 2017 at 10:23AM
    Options
    We had a couple of quotes in London recently and they were both around that.

I don't think there's a right answer when to do it. On one hand you want to wait to make sure the lender is happy to issue a mortgage on the property at the agreed price before paying for a survey. On the other the survey might flag something and you want to pull out which would be better prior to mortgage application and paying for a valuation (though you might be able to have these transferred). There's also the risk of dragging things out if it takes a while for the valuation to get booked in and then you instruct the surveyor

We had a survey prior to the full mortgage application but it was a standard terrace and our broker was confident the mortgage would get approved, I may have waited otherwise.
  • lovehols
    lovehols Posts: 214 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, we've had another quote this minute at £840 Inc VAT, so a little cheaper but at least I know this is generally similar prices to what people have paid.

The cheaper one is from a surveyor that is based around a mile from me now (but around 25 miles from the property we are buying). The more expensive one is from a surveyor closer to the area and property we are buying (so they may know the area better) but further away from us now.

I mean they are both RICS so I guess it is personal preference now.
  • Fed
    Fed Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check to see what each report includes. We assumed ours would include a valuation and possibly some costings for remedial works (like an indepth homebuyers) but it wasn't the case and that would have cost extra.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Given that you plan "significant renovation and extension" you might want a bespoke survey rather than a standard 'full survey'.

On a standard full survey, the surveyor is likely to spend time assessing the decor, highlighting the rickety kitchen units you plan to rip out ayway, and commenting on the roof that you can see perfectly well yourself with your binoculars.

List you actual concerns and ask for a survey that focusses just on those eg

* damp, existance, cause and cost to remedy
    * JKW (whatever that is!)
    * extension potential and associated issues
    * structural issues (eg that crack you noticed)

Whether it would be cheaper I don't know, but you miht get less pointless info and better relevant info.

What part of the country is it?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JKW = Japanese Knotweed at a guess.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• G_M
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    JKW = Japanese Knotweed at a guess.
    Cheers.

So now surveyors have to be horticulturalists as well as gas engineers and electricinas......?
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    What website are you using? Most charge to be listed, even the RICS "find a surveyor" so the results might not show the smaller local independent firms.

From your description I would google.."Chartered Building Surveyor (location)" and ignore the paid for ads at the top of the results.

£750 plus VAT would be the absolute minimum if you want a decent survey. As GM said you can ask them to tailor the survey to check specific things but might cost more, JKW should be standard.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Cheers.

So now surveyors have to be horticulturalists as well as gas engineers and electricinas......?

Ours went looking for it, yes (and didn't find any).
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• G_M
    Options
    teneighty wrote: »
    What website are you using? Most charge to be listed, even the RICS "find a surveyor" so the results might not show the smaller local independent firms.

Is that really true? If so, I'm shocked.

I always assumed the RICS site would list all RICS registered surveyors.

What is the world coming to?
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Is that really true? If so, I'm shocked.

I always assumed the RICS site would list all RICS registered surveyors.

What is the world coming to?

The first few pages of results will usually be "premium" listings which are paid for and it isn't cheap. All firms will be on there but you'll have to scroll through a lot of pages to see the free entries for the small independent practices. I know a local surveyor in a nearby village and even if I search under his own postcode he only makes page 4.

The site is run by a private company on behalf of RICS so it is all about generating revenue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure