PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I get Landlord to Pay Fees?

Options
Good Evening All,

I would really appreciate some advice.

I am looking at moving out of my current rental, I have found somewhere else that suits, paid the fees (£360!) and informed my landlord straight away. This all happened last Wednesday 29.11.17.

I have been a good tenant, I have looked after the property, spent money on it, am always early with my rent and am accommodating with repairs, of which there have been many.

To make a long story short, the landlord does not want to let me go. He has spent every day since last Wednesday texting me to reconsider and saying that I have misunderstood the situation(?).

He will not respond to requests for a reference and passing the credit check is contingent upon this. I will lose the £360 I have paid because of this. Can I sue my landlord for £360 that I will lose?

I think I know the answer to this, but it's worth a try!

Many thanks

Comments

• Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ..I think you probably know the answer.

I am not sure that anybody is obliged to give a reference if they don't want to.
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Have you told the new place this? Do you have a previous LL you can offer as a reference?
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is "the situation"?
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    A landlord does not have to give a tenant a reference.

Any more than a tenant does not have to give a landlord a reference - (there's a thought..).

Ask current landlord, if he's so keen to keep you, will he give you a new 12/24/36 month tenancy at a reduced rent.
  • Janets_Daughter
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Have you told the new place this? Do you have a previous LL you can offer as a reference?

I have explained the situation to them and they have been very understanding, but they say they must have my most recent landlord.

I have lived here for six months and I offered them my previous landlord where I lived for five years. I offered to prove to them that I pay my rent early every month. However, they outsource the credit check and say most recent landlord or nothing.
  • Janets_Daughter
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    What is "the situation"?

There is no situation. He just can't understand why I don't want to live here forever!
  • Janets_Daughter
    Options
    A landlord does not have to give a tenant a reference.

Any more than a tenant does not have to give a landlord a reference - (there's a thought..).

Ask current landlord, if he's so keen to keep you, will he give you a new 12/24/36 month tenancy at a reduced rent.

He's actually a terrible landlord, but I take your point. He is now ignoring me entirely.

Sulking I think.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When did you serve notice on your present landlord?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    New LL may just be very dogmtic and think he has to 'follow the rules' and get the creit check company's OK.

Or he may have a rent guarantee insurance that requires all tenants to pass that particular credit referencing agent's checks.
  • Janets_Daughter
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    When did you serve notice on your present landlord?

I actually haven't yet, I was just giving him the heads up. I will be giving him correct notice and have assured him all bills will be paid up before I leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure