Scottish Power Charging a Fee on pay as you go meter

Options
Hello all,

I have recently moved home. For the last two years, I have lived in a rented flat, where contractually I had to use a pay as you go electricity meter, supplied by Scottish Power. Throughout this time the meter was never in debt and always had credit. Unfortunately, when I moved I received a bill, via text, for an outstanding fee of £181.65. It took three months for me to receive this bill as I was later informed they were sending it to the landlords address. After multiple phone calls, I was still unsure as to how they had managed to fabricate a bill of this sum. They said that it was accumulated over a six month period. I'm still waiting on an explanation of what the bill is for. If I have used a pay as you go meter, why am I being billed for six months electricity? I had it on good authority that you could not accumulate debt on a pre-paid meter. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as they are now threatening bailiffs.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• SpotlandRules
    Options
    One possibility is price increases. When key PAYG customers have a price increase or decreases, the meter does not change to this new SC or unit rate, until you top up.

If there was a period of time, when you did not top up and there was a price change, you would be paying the incorrect amount.
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    JJForkin wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have recently moved home. For the last two years, I have lived in a rented flat, where contractually I had to use a pay as you go electricity meter, supplied by Scottish Power. Throughout this time the meter was never in debt and always had credit. Unfortunately, when I moved I received a bill, via text, for an outstanding fee of £181.65. It took three months for me to receive this bill as I was later informed they were sending it to the landlords address. After multiple phone calls, I was still unsure as to how they had managed to fabricate a bill of this sum. They said that it was accumulated over a six month period. I'm still waiting on an explanation of what the bill is for. If I have used a pay as you go meter, why am I being billed for six months electricity? I had it on good authority that you could not accumulate debt on a pre-paid meter. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as they are now threatening bailiffs.

Thank you in advance.

Hi JJForkin,

So we can look into this, can you possibly please send an email to social@scottishpower including your MSE handle, and the address or account number of the property this query relates to?

Once we have this information, we can check things like meter readings and top up payments to investigate why there is a final balance on your account.

Kind regards
    Faye
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure