Car insurance and house move (electoral register)

Options
Bit niche I suppose but here goes. We complete on a new house on 8th December - on the same day my car insurance is due!

When looking for quotes, I did them at my current address and the future address and the future address quotes were noticeably more. I rang the cheapest insurer to ask why and she said that the credit check was flagging up that my address on the quote was different to the address showing on the electoral register. I rang up today to change my address on the electoral register to be told that I have missed the cut off date and won't be registered at my new address until 10th January...

If I put my current address down on my insurance application, I will then have to change it immediately and incur costs associated with the change. My insurance premiums will then significantly increase anyway as I am changing the address to one that is not yet associated with me on the electoral register - what do I do?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Part of your problem is due to you making multiple quotes with different addresses.

When playing with quotes online always do dummy quotes.

You confirm that you are telling the truth when doing quotes and you cannot be telling the truth when using different addresses.

Just take out a policy at your new address.

No-one moving house has the electoral register changed on the actual moving date!
  • Piggywinkle
    Options
    Does that mean the insurance premiums at my new place are just more expensive then? I can't really do dummy quotes as I have a couple of specific things that I need to include (had some recent prangs combined with a poor credit rating).
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You do dummy quotes by giving dummy personal details. Name/address etc

Probably the increase is due to the new address.
  • Piggywinkle
    Options
    Thanks so much for your info on both of my posts today Quentin - it really is appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure