Can you cancel a contract via e-mail legally?

Hopefully the right section.

We've sold our house and trying to cancel the house insurance but they just don't answer the phone. We've rang more then 50 times now and the one time we got through we got told they would call us back as we got put through to the wrong department and they didn't.

We sent them an e-mail before the last payment went out to cancel (only £15 but in my eyes we have rang them and told them we want to cancel, and e-mailed them an official cancellation so we shouldn't of had to pay that last payment)

Can we cancel the direct debit or do we need to send something officially in writing?

We are allowed to cancel as per our contract but there is a £35 charge so if the e-mail is 'legal' I would be tempted to send them a letter with a cheque minus the £15 and cancel the DD?
People don't know what they want until you show them.

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What does it say in the T&C's with regards to cancelling? Do they allow cancellation by email?

What company is it and what phone number are you dialling? Even if your email cancellation is valid, its possible the payment taken would be due anyway depending on what period of cover it relates to.

Don't just cancel your DD. If you are paying in installments for insurance then you will have a credit agreement - failing to make payments can result in defaults being recorded on your credit history.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure