Sofa stain insurance

I took this out when I bought 2 sofas 18m ago. Recently had a small ( 50p sized) tea stain on 1 seat cushion. Guy came to clean it & mentioned in conversation that the product he uses is bleach based. I questioned this but not too deeply as I have had a stain cleaned previously and all was ok, although that was a water stain. Anyway, after the cushion dried there is now a larger ( fist sized) area where the colour has bleached. I contacted the company and they have given me 2 options. A replacement cushion but have stressed that there is a high likeleyhood that it would be a different shade than the original or £30. I have replied, without expressing a preference, that I don’t think the 2nd option is a fair comparison with the 1st, ie £30 is neither here nor there. The original suite was £1000. Would I be too unreasonable to expect them to provide 2 new cushions which would at least match each other although they wouldn’t match the other sofa or indeed the rest of the suite. I’m not asking for a whole new suite but I do expect them to make good their mistake.
:smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Comments

• FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It would depend on the policy wording.

What does the wording say about replacing cushions etc?
  • Katykat
    Katykat Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The general terms state that they may replace the damaged part if it can’t be repaired or any cash settlement will be limited to the equivilant cost of repair or replacement. The devil is in the detail really as I feel it would cost more than £30 to replace the cushion. But to replace the cushion I would end up with a mismatch. And it’s not even my fault.
  • Katykat
    A thought has just crossed my mind. When we bought the sofas ( from DFS) the salesman brought a cup of black coffee to us as a demonstration to sell the stain protection plan. He dipped 2 samples in the coffee, 1 with the Guardsman protection, 1 without. Of course the one without stained the sample & the one with it didn’t stain at all. But nowhere on the paperwork does it state that the sofas have been sprayed with any kind of protective cover. Only that we have purchased a 5 yr fabric protection plan. I’m beginning to feel a bit apprehensive about this.
  • FutureGirl
    edited 3 December 2017 at 8:45PM
    If the policy states that if it doesn't match they will replace both - great (will usually be referred to as undamaged items cover). If not, then they will only replace the one cushion cover as that is all they're obliged to replace under the policy.

Why do you feel the £30 is not enough money? The £30 is likely the discounted cost it would cost the insurer to replace the cover - not the cost it would necessarily cost you on the high street to replace the one item - and this is all they have to offer.
  • Katykat
    [QUOTE- and this is all they have to offer.[/QUOTE]

So I have to accept either a mismatched cushion or a bleached cushion, even though it’s not my fault? Seems a bit weighted in their favour.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    sofa stain insurance is a gimmick imo, much like boiler cover, your better off saving your own money into a repair pot and dipping into it ad hoc. At least no exclusions and no disputes.

We cover our sofa when no guests around with a sofa cover
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Katykat
    [QUOTE We cover our sofa when no guests around with a sofa cover[/QUOTE]

We did cover it. Tea went through the throw. To be fair, the tea stain was only small. The bleach stain is worse.
  • FutureGirl
    Katykat wrote: »
    [QUOTE- and this is all they have to offer.

So I have to accept either a mismatched cushion or a bleached cushion, even though it’s not my fault? Seems a bit weighted in their favour.[/QUOTE]

You accept either a mis matched cushion, or the £30 - as per the policy documents.

It isn't the insurers fault someone spilt tea on the sofa either.
  • Katykat
    But it’s the insurers fault that their product bleached the sofa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts