IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

What to do if you ignored the ticket?

Options
Asking on behalf on my daft friend!

He parked in a Matalan car park on 3 November while he went to a shop a couple of doors away, not realising if he left the site he was liable for a parking charge. There is signage but he parked at the edge of the car park and didn't see it. Having been ticketed, he Googled and found advice just to ignore the ticket, which he did.

Now I've told him that, to my understanding, things have changed and this isn't the advice any longer.

We've read through the newbies thread but of course the time for appeal is up. What's his best course of action now? No Notice to Keeper has been received.

The parking charge issuer is UKPC, a BPA member.
Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Having been ticketed, he Googled and found advice just to ignore the ticket, which he did.
    I’m sure he jumped at the opportunity to bury his head in the sand, after not checking the date of that advice! Great innit, the bogeyman disappears as soon as the eyes are closed!
    Now I've told him that, to my understanding, things have changed and this isn't the advice any longer.
    Correct. Ever since October 2012.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/9/schedule/4/enacted
    We've read through the newbies thread but of course the time for appeal is up.
    Not very thoroughly it would seem.
    No Notice to Keeper has been received.
    It won’t have been received if it was a windscreen ticket. That will come between days 29 and 56 after the parking event.
    What's his best course of action now?
    If the parking event was 3/11/17 then he’s just missed the opportunity to head off the NtK around day 26, so he now has to wait for the NtK and them deal with that as per the sticky. He needs to read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1.
    The parking charge issuer is UKPC, a BPA member.
    Fortunately POPLA is open to him and UKPC can be beaten there. But he needs to get his head out of the sand, read and thoroughly digest the sticky, especially post #3 once the PPC rejects his initial appeal.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Misty_Blue
    Misty_Blue Posts: 876 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    edited 2 December 2017 at 9:36PM
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, Umkomaas.

I've read post 1 of the sticky but I'm a bit unsure, as the instructions for the BPA companies seem to apply for sending your appeal around day 26, which has now been exceeded. The BPA template says, 'Should you obtain the registered keeper's data from the DVLA without reasonable cause,' etc., but obviously if they send the NTK then they've already got the details from the DVLA. Once the NTK comes, he can still then ask UKPC for a POPLA code?

Another thing I don't really get is on what grounds he could reasonably appeal. He doesn't dispute the signage is there or that it's clear, he's just one of those people that walks round in his own little world and didn't notice it. He didn't use the Matalan store, he used a store a couple of doors down which doesn't have its own car park, so he can't provide proof of a purchase. I appealed a private ticket about 5 years ago by asking them to demonstrate how my parking there for a short time had caused them a loss amounting to £xxx. Is that now a no go?

Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,355 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2017 at 9:45PM
    Options
    I've read post 1 of the sticky but I'm a bit unsure,
    Why are you reading this? What’s your friend doing to get himself out of his own mess. There’s a real danger of Chinese Whispers here, which can end disastrously. Get him off his backside and on here reading this. His time with his head under the pillow has passed.
    ....... the instructions for the BPA companies seem to apply for sending your appeal around day 26, which has now been exceeded.
    Then it’s await the NtK.
    Should you obtain the registered keeper's data from the DVLA without reasonable cause,'
    Change to ‘Should you have obtained .......’, but only after receipt of the NtK.
    Once the NTK comes, he can still then ask UKPC for a POPLA code?
    He doesn’t ask for a POPLA Code. He sends in the initial appeal. If UKPC reject the appeal, they are obliged to issue a POPLA Code. But expect there to be an interim letter from them after the initial appeal, asking for the name and address of the driver. This is to be ignored, then after 35 days there will be a formal rejection and POPLA Code.

This is unlikely to be sorted much before March next year.
    Another thing I don't really get is on what grounds he could reasonably appeal. He doesn't dispute the signage is there or that it's clear, he's just one of those people that walks round in his own little world and didn't notice it. He didn't use the Matalan store, he used a store a couple of doors down which doesn't have its own car park, so he can't provide proof of a purchase. I appealed a private ticket about 5 years ago by asking them to demonstrate how my parking there for a short time had caused them a loss amounting to £xxx. Is that now a no go?
    He needs to be doing plenty of reading himself. You cannot possibly do all this for him, as clearly you are making incorrect assumptions about signage - as a starter. There are thousands of threads of a very similar nature all appealed successfully using the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #3 (which will come after receipt of the POPLA Code).

You are correct on one point - ‘no loss’ is dead in the water.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    so you wait for the NTK to arrive , you change that wording to "Should you have obtained" and the keeper appeals it as keeper with the new amended template

simples

loss is a no go since BEAVIS

the blue text template lists the initial appeal, which is to obtain a popla code

you are no expert on signas and few signs meet the BPA CoP nor the laws of the land, and few signs are the same as the BEAVIS case

if you dont ask , you dont get

so appeal points include

NO CONTRACT
    NO LANDOWNER AUTHORITY
    POOR AND INADEQUATE SIGNAGE
    NOT THE SAME AS BEAVIS
    ANY POFA2012 ERRORS
    ANY BPA COP ERRORS
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You/he need to go back and thoroughly read the NEWBIES again, and again, until you/he start to understand the process.

Parking scammers lie. UKPC are one of the worst and got caught doctoring time stamps on their photo' "evidence."

I will be very surprised if the UKPC signage is adequate and meets all the BPA requirements in every way. I doubt their NTK will meet the very strict requirements of the POFA 2012 either.
    So, you/he needs to read, and then go through the two stage appeal process.
    The initial appeal is already written out to just copy and paste, and there are loads of appeal points available in template form in the NEWBIES.

Get stuck in and stop thinking like a victim.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2017 at 9:55PM
    Options
    "Another thing I don't really get is on what grounds he could reasonably appeal. He doesn't dispute the signage is there or that it's clear, he's just one of those people that walks round in his own little world and didn't notice it."

so he did not see it .... can not have been that clear .....

now ... as above ... he now needs to find the other reasons as to how to appeal ... there will be 4 / 5 ..... or even more :)

tell him that if he caries on ignoring then he may well end up in court or ... worse .......

follow the good advice above ... ( he will not get better if he paid £££ for it )

and ...... just for you .... do not tell him yet .... let him read up .....

'leaving the site' is almost impossible for a PPC to prove / take to court ....

ready for a laugh ?

search the forum for 'toothbrush'

Ralph:cool:
  • Misty_Blue
    Options
    Thanks, all. Sending him the link to this thread.

As to why I'm posting this for him, he's tremendously academically intelligent (he has a PhD and is working towards another), but completely lacking in common sense and clueless about everyday life to the point of not knowing his right from his left!

Will tell him to await the NTK and go from there.
  • Misty_Blue
    Options
    Ralph-y wrote: »

ready for a laugh ?

search the forum for 'toothbrush'

Just read it. :D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport