IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Conflicting advice on if the car owner is responsible for a PCN

broughsupn
broughsupn Posts: 38 Forumite
edited 22 January 2018 at 12:46AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi,

Apologies for this but there does appear to be conflicting advice.

Template appeal for IPC members - copy this wording into the online appeal box or into an email:

- if this is an IPC member parking firm, see post #3, there is no POPLA for you, so consumers do not get a fair appeal. Instead, just send this letter or a version of it, writing ONLY as the registered keeper, with their name and address (thanks to salmosalaris for the basis of this letter):

Dear {name of IPC member - only IPC members for this version!!!}

Re PCN number:

I am the keeper of the vehicle and am aware of your purported 'parking charge'. The driver will not be identified. I require the following information so that I can make an informed decision:

1. Who is the party that contracted with your company and are they the landowner?
2. Is your charge based on damages for breach of contract? Answer yes or no.
3. Please provide photos of the signs that you say were on site, which you contend formed a contract with the driver.
4. Please provide all photographs taken of this vehicle.
5. Please provide proof that the timing of any camera or timer used was synchronised with all other cameras and/or systems & machines.

Thinks that looks like a good plan but then reads this.

Don't assume the driver's liable for the ticket

Official parking tickets are the responsibility of the vehicle's registered owner, not the driver, unless issued to hire cars. This applies throughout the UK.

If you've got a ticket while in a hire car, hire firms can either send you the payment demand or pay the ticket themselves and send you a bill, plus an admin fee. So if you've got a ticket while driving a hire car and want to appeal against it, let the hire firm know.

They seem to conflict so which is the correct one.

Thanks

Reggie
Thanks

Reggie

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Don't assume the driver's liable for the ticket

Official parking tickets are the responsibility of the vehicle's registered owner, not the driver, unless issued to hire cars. This applies throughout the UK.
    So you found these words in MSE's Parking Ticket Appeals document.

Unfortunately that guide is not as good as it could be.

Anyway, you've taken these words out of context.

Those phrases refer to what they call 'official' tickets, i.e. council tickets.

As you have mentioned 'IPC', can we assume these are private parking tickets you are talking about?

Who is the parking company?

If it is an IPC company, sent the black text appeal from post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ thread. Send it without change or additions.

Towards the end of your post you mention 'hire car'.
    Is that relevant to your situation?
  • broughsupn
    broughsupn Posts: 38 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2018 at 12:42AM
    KeithP wrote: »
    So you found these words in MSE's Parking Ticket Appeals document.

Unfortunately that guide is not as good as it could be.

Anyway, you've taken these words out of context.

Those phrases refer to what they call 'official' tickets, i.e. council tickets.

As you have mentioned 'IPC', can we assume these are private parking tickets you are talking about?

Who is the parking company?

If it is an IPC company, sent the black text appeal from post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ thread. Send it without change or additions.

Towards the end of your post you mention 'hire car'.
    Is that relevant to your situation?

Thanks for the reply
    Thanks

Reggie
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Other points to note. The DVLA only hold details of the registered keeper, not the owner who may or may not be the same person. Then there is the day to day keeper who may or may not be the registered keeper.

Whilst this may be confusing, it can be used to a motorist's advantage, but they need to know what they are doing first, which is where this forum comes in.

Personally I wouldn't use anything from the "Official" MSE parking forum as we know that they are not necessarily as knowledgeable as the people who post here.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • KeithP
    broughsupn wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply they are an IPC it did seem to say that response was for an IPC.

Not a hire car but I can prove with documented signed evidence it was not me driving the car, unless I have mastered being in 2 places at once.

Regards

Reggie

Then as I said earlier:
    KeithP wrote: »
  • KeithP wrote: »

Sorry, I am not sure where this is pointing to.

Regards

Reggie
    Thanks

Reggie
  • Fruitcake wrote: »
    Then there is the day to day keeper who may or may not be the registered keeper.

Whilst this may be confusing, it can be used to a motorist's advantage, but they need to know what they are doing first, which is where this forum comes in.

That applies to me, what do I need to know?
    Thanks

Reggie
  • KeithP
    Sorry, I am not sure where this is pointing to.

I am pointing you towards a thread entitled:

**NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!

That applies to me, what do I need to know?
    What you need to know is... never reveal the identity of the driver.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The keeper waits for the NTK to arrive through the post then sends the IPC template from the NEWBIES thread.

If the keeper wishes, they can add that they were not the driver, ensuring that they do not reveal the driver's identity in the process. This will be futile as the IPC scammer will either ignore it or ask for the driver's name.

After that, the keeper ignores everything except real court papers.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Thank you you all for the help and Advice, much appreciated.

Reggie.

PS If unlucky I may be back
    Thanks

Reggie
  • KeithP wrote: »
    S

Just so I get this right, that would be the appeal starting

"Dear {name of IPC member - only IPC members for this version!!!}

Re PCN number:

I am the keeper of the vehicle and am aware of your purported 'parking charge'. The driver will not be identified. I require the following information so that I can make an informed decision:"

Thanks

Reggie
    Thanks

Reggie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business