Who to use for boiler replacement

Options
Hi

Not sure if this is the right place in the forum but here goes......

I'm planning to get my combi boiler replaced. I've had 3 quotes which are very similar in price: a local independent fitter, Help-Link and British Gas.

For various reasons, the local fella has been discounted so my choice is between the big boys. I've looked at Trustpilot and HL score well above BG but looking at the reviews for BG, a lot of the negatives seem to be about their Homecare cover and not boiler replacement. I've never (touch wood) had any big issues with my Homecare 400 cover. A lot of the HL negatives seem to be about their after-sales service.

So, my question is - has anyone out there had these firms in purely for a boiler replacement? Can anyone offer advice that will make my choice easier?

Cheers

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BigTezza wrote: »
    Hi

Not sure if this is the right place in the forum but here goes......

I'm planning to get my combi boiler replaced. I've had 3 quotes which are very similar in price: a local independent fitter, Help-Link and British Gas.

For various reasons, the local fella has been discounted so my choice is between the big boys. I've looked at Trustpilot and HL score well above BG but looking at the reviews for BG, a lot of the negatives seem to be about their Homecare cover and not boiler replacement. I've never (touch wood) had any big issues with my Homecare 400 cover. A lot of the HL negatives seem to be about their after-sales service.

So, my question is - has anyone out there had these firms in purely for a boiler replacement? Can anyone offer advice that will make my choice easier?

Cheers

You can't trust TrustPilot

I suggest you get a couple more local, independent quotes, preferably from those you have been personally recommended, especially as the one you have currently got quoted about the same as BG. :eek:
  • BigTezza
    Options
    Nobody I know could recommend locals unfortunately so I resorted to CheckaTrade.com. The top reviewed outfit never replied to my emails and the second best rated was the guy I saw. His quote came out to £2400. Help-Link came to £2517 and BG £2571. That's not including what I would save with BG because I'd pay reduced monthly Homecare premiums for 5 years. I need to call them and work that out but a guestimate is a saving of well over £1000.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have a quote from a brand accredited local ,their prices will be higher than others, as they have to pay a fee to the brand.

I took four local quotes and all, though varied, were much less than from the big name suppliers.

A relative ,who worked for one of the BIG 6,asked about their staff discounted prices for an installation and even that it was dearer than using a smaller company.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to do your homework. I went for a local installer earlier this year and, I know that if I have any issues, he stands by his work and his local reputation. As an accredited/trained installer of the brand of boiler that I chose, I was able to avail myself of a 10 year parts/labour warranty on the boiler and a life time warranty on the heat exchanger.

Choosing an installer isn’t easy. I used website reviews including Which Trusted Trader and sought out 5 quotes. I also researched various boiler types and manufacturers. Talking to each of the installers was invaluable. Three of them were, in my opinion, fit the biggest boiler and forget merchants. Two of them sat down and scoped the work; correctly sized the boiler etc. The final choice was difficult. I am sure that both of them would have done a good job.
  • BigTezza
    BigTezza Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. I might see if I can find another local but I went local last time and had a bad experience, although not until several years later! I chose a local with all the right badges and who seemed the most clued up and professional. However, unknown to me they had apparently run out of or misjudged the copper pipe on the hot water Out circuit hidden under the floorboards of the bathroom cupboard where it was being installed. Some years later I came home to a flooded kitchen and ruined ceiling. They had made up the gap between two copper pipes with what looked to be a bit of thick plastic pipe. Over years of scolding hot water going through it the pipe had blistered and then popped. The boiler thought "Someone needs hot water" so it started spewing it out. I called BG Homecare and the guy they sent over couldn't believe his eyes. He fixed it up and asked if he could take the plastic pipe away because his colleagues would never believe him otherwise.

It's a real minefield out there!!! :(
  • BigTezza
    BigTezza Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So no British Gas or Help-Link boiler installation experiences out there??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure