Can I get this debt wrote off?

Is there a clause in this?
The debt is old and I cannot even remember what it's for and the last time I heard from Apex Credit Management was over a year ago. BUT I have been paying £1 to them since 2011 but cancelled my direct debit 3 months ago due to no communication.

Out of the blue Cabot Financial sent me a letter today saying they are dealing with the account directly.
The letter says the following;
Duration as provided in the agreement: 0 months
Amount of credit: £0.00
Contractual payment: £0.00
Date assigned: December 2009

So my concern is, it's not even on their records as to how much credit was lent over how long and for how much, therefore how can they seek payment from me?
I don't want to be paying over the odds for something as the debt is for £7,000.

Any advice would be really appreciated

Thank you

Comments

• Ask them for clarity over the amount. The debt is still enforceable as you have been making payments.
  • Sounds like Apex have sold it onto Cabot. You have made a payment 3 months ago, so it is not Statute Barred. It wasn't the brightest move to cancel the DD. I have debts the same age as yours, and can't remember the last time I heard from them. Contact Cabot before you end up with a CCJS. You took out a loan, so repay it.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Send a provit letter to them, it sounds like the details of the debt are sadly lacking, get them to prove your liability, provit letter available from the stickies on debt free wannabe.

They can’t just send a random letter with no content and expect you to pay them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Agree with sourcrates: From the information provided in the opening post it looks like Cabot don't have the details of the debt. You could in that case dispute the debt and ask them to provide the latest agreement and account statement to prove that you owe the money. If Cabot cannot do that then in essence you don't owe it, simple. But note that the debt will not go away and it could happen that they will find the information at a later date and come back to you. I'd say if you can afford to pay it then pay it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure