Overpaid a website via PayPal Subscriptions - Trying to deduct charges from my refund

Options
Hi,

I cancelled a web hosting service a couple of years ago, and it wasn't unreasonable to expect billing oi also be cancelled. The service was paid via PayPal Subscriptions, I didn't realise I had to cancel this myself and small a payment (5 a month) have been continuing without me realising until recently.

When I spotted it, I contacted the company and cancelled the PayPal subscriptions, however, I'm having some difficulty getting the money back from them. They advise that because PayPal charges them transaction fees, they will refund me but first want to deduct these fees.

Where do I stand legally? Surely I am entitled to a refund as I've 'paid' for a service I haven't received and I don't think I should have to incur the fees/admin costs as part of a refund?

Thanks

Abe

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why should they incur charges for your error? Their resolution of refunding minus fees sounds reasonable considered during the mistake was yours.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    PayPal usually refund fees when they refund payments.
    If they don't refund fees after a certain time from each payment the seems perfectly reasonable you cover their out of pockets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure