Default from Nationwide

Options
Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. Back in 2013 I stopped using my nationwide account as I was told in branch after 12 months of inactivity it will automatically close.

In 2016 I got a job working for Nationwide. Because I was starting at nationwide I thought it would be best if I got a Nationwide Current account. Upon opening I encountered an issue with the old account. A direct debit that I had cancelled came out for the last time on my old nationwide account. Because of that it left my account in debit and bank charges started to apply. Because I moved addresses being at uni I had never received any correspondence from the bank, there was no need for me to update my address because my everyday banking was elsewhere. I explained this and as a gesture of good will they removed all bank charges. It had only become apparent that a default was then updated on my credit report in 2016 from 2014, however it is now satisfied.

Understandably from a banks point of view they have probably done nothing wrong, but i have been on the receiving end on something I had no control over. At the time I took it on the chin and started to build on my credit hoping it won’t affect my future.

I recently applied for a mortgage only to be turned down. For many years i have managed my finances, never been late on anything and I have never been in a position where I have needed credit. I’m 23, have a little girl on the way. The default is the main reason I am being declined, although it was 3 years ago, it was only satisfied in November 2016 when they removed all bank charges and closed the account.

Can something be done to remove the default? They said it was my fault because I never updated my address, but there was no need for me to update it with them because I had no business with them. The default is solely made up of bank charges so it’s not like I owe them anything, there was no overdraft or credit agreement it was just a direct debit that had forced it to be in debit.

I hope someone can help, my future is being dictated on a single mistake and a small default of £220. Even speaking to a broker and being in the financial sector (little experience, hence for the advice). When a computer says no we can’t dispute it.

Thanks I’m advance.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 November 2017 at 1:17AM
    Options
    Have you been declined a mortgage from every lender ?

I dont believe that, try a broker.

I believe it was your fault, you could have checked for any direct debits that were due and sort it out but thats my opinion.

On what basis would you attempt to get the default removed ?
  • RyanWills94
    Options
    this is the thing, it was the last dd for the gym. If I had known it came out I would have paid it straight away, it was £29. For the sake of my future, if I had known I would have done it.

I thought bank charges that lead to a default were abolished in 2014? It’s just a series of unfortunate events really. I had no control because I was not aware, I have done a letter in hope as a goodwill gesture they can remove it due to the nature of it

Myself and my broker attempted 3 times, he works on a 3 times then strike we are out.
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This 200 will not matter next year, so your life is not ruined - just your house buying is postponed a bit. Use this time to save up a bigger deposit which will also help.

No matter how sound may be your reasoning, in the end, you are responsible for your liabilities, and bank already did all they could for you - lift the charges. But if you really need to know what you could've done is what most people do after moving - either collect post from the old address or better yet set up mail redirect, just to catch this type of mistakes before they become a thing.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Can something be done to remove the default? They said it was my fault because I never updated my address, but there was no need for me to update it with them because I had no business with them. The default is solely made up of bank charges so it’s not like I owe them anything, there was no overdraft or credit agreement it was just a direct debit that had forced it to be in debit.

The default was factually correct. In UK law they are only required to contact you at the address they have on file for you. And yes you do owe them something, you owe them the charges you agreed to pay when you signed up for the bank account.

Getting the charges removed is all they can do, they have a duty to report accurate information to the CRAs so the only way it could get removed if is there was an error.

But that shouldn't in isolation cause you to be refused for a mortgage. Either there is something else or you have one of the worst brokers in the country.
  • RyanWills94
    Options
    thanks for the replies
  • RyanWills94
    Options
    After sending a letter Nationwide called me explaining the default will be removed. They explained they should have not applied the default because in January 2014 they abolished defaults on current accounts solely made up from bank charges! And compensated £150! Win win
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure