PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

stamp duty payment deadline

Options
All

Ive been told that you have 30 days to pay stamp duty after completion. Do i jusy tell My conveyancer that i plan to do this myself....is it as simple as that?

thanks

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tkel01 wrote: »
    All

Ive been told that you have 30 days to pay stamp duty after completion. Do i jusy tell My conveyancer that i plan to do this myself....is it as simple as that?

thanks
    No

not sure how many times this has been explained?

If you need a mortgage to purchase the property then the conveyancer is required by the Council of mortgage lenders to ensure that all funds required to complete the purchase are in the hands of the conveyancer before completion. ie you must transfer the SDLT money to the conveyancer before the completion date, the conveyancer is then responsible for paying it to HMRC by the 30 day deadline.

The lender will not release the mortgage funds until the conveyancer confirms all the ducks are in a row ready to go

the 30 day deadline is practical for DIY only where you have no mortgage and are paying the SDLT yourself in cash
  • tkel01
    tkel01 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    No

not sure how many times this has been explained?

If you need a mortgage to purchase the property then the conveyancer is required by the Council of mortgage lenders to ensure that all funds required to complete the purchase are in the hands of the conveyancer before completion. ie you must transfer the SDLT money to the conveyancer before the completion date, the conveyancer is then responsible for paying it to HMRC by the 30 day deadline.

The lender will not release the mortgage funds until the conveyancer confirms all the ducks are in a row ready to go

the 30 day deadline is practical for DIY only where you have no mortgage and are paying the SDLT yourself in cash

Thanks for the explanation.....despite my question clearly annoying you!
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We really need a few stickies and ground rules.

First, 'one purchase/transaction, one thread'. We get far too many new threads for questions on the same transaction. IIRC we had one member start twenty-three threads on their purchase.

Next, a FAQ would be useful so we don't have to write bespoke answers to the same questions which crop up several times a day.

I'd be interested in other members' thoughts...
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    I'd be interested in other members' thoughts...
    been asked for almost as many times as posters have failed to use the search function before posting

I'm not aware of any official response, but patently it hasn't happened either

the only thread I'm aware of that has been produced with a deliberate view of centralising things is the Land Registry questions thread, but as that has not been made a sticky, I don't understand how "they" expect new users to find it and use it. Although I accept it does get used a lot more than i thought it would so clearly that approach has merit.
  • Suman170
    Options
    Hi tkel01, I saw your post about your mortgage from leeds. I just wanted to know if they did final credit check before completion?? I have got a mortgage offer leeds for a shared ownership property, just waiting to exchange contracts but very worried, I have been reading all sort of horrible stories about how people’s mortgage offer withdraw the last minute.. would really appreciate it if you could share your experience. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure