Redundancy and pregnancy

Options
So this may be abit of a long one so apologies if this doesn't make sense.
Me and about 20 others are being made redundant at the end of March 2018. I am due to have my baby in April. My maternity leave will start mid March. So for 3 weeks i will get my occupational maternity pay. Once my contract ends at the end of March they have said my SMP will be paid to me in one payment.

My question is this..
Will i be entitled to income support or any other type of benefits? I have looked at benefit calculators ans they have said i would get income support, child tax credits and child benefit. Has anyone been in the situation?

It might be worth me mentioning that i will be a single parent with no help financially from the dad so it will solely be my income.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    You would be better posting on the benefits board.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So this may be abit of a long one so apologies if this doesn't make sense.
    Me and about 20 others are being made redundant at the end of March 2018. I am due to have my baby in April. My maternity leave will start mid March. So for 3 weeks i will get my occupational maternity pay. Once my contract ends at the end of March they have said my SMP will be paid to me in one payment.

My question is this..
    Will i be entitled to income support or any other type of benefits? I have looked at benefit calculators ans they have said i would get income support, child tax credits and child benefit. Has anyone been in the situation?

It might be worth me mentioning that i will be a single parent with no help financially from the dad so it will solely be my income.

Thanks in advance :)

Why not? I mean there's a few legitimate reasons, but
  • Laura2507
    Options
    I’ve just been through something similar (also a solo mum) and income support was denied because I was paid SMP. I was told paying both income support and SMP is paying me twice. I can only claim income support once the 39 weeks is up.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Laura2507 wrote: »
    I’ve just been through something similar (also a solo mum) and income support was denied because I was paid SMP. I was told paying both income support and SMP is paying me twice. I can only claim income support once the 39 weeks is up.
    Whats worth more? Could you not give 8 weeks notice of return (pay back the extra) and then claim income support if it is worth more?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure