Conservatory Blinds

Options
Hi there!

In order to give our kids a bedroom each upstairs in our house, my OH and I moved our bedroom into the conservatory. It works ok, but was very bright and hot in the summer, and now the nights are getting older (gosh are they!!!) and we've come to the conclusion that we need to have blinds fitted (I've hung curtains up as a temporary measure, but it's not ideal). We had Hillary's around for a quote, and it came to £1,300. Now, on a payment plan, we could probably (just about) do that, but I would hate to spend more than absolutely necessary! So I'm looking to get more quotes, from other companies, but don't know which ones would be worth getting in! Does anybody know of other conservatory blind companies, and how they compare to Hillary's? I'm sure there must be less expensive ones out there...

TIA!

Comments

• docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Your bedroom is in the conservatory? Wow!

What area are you in? There are loads of local blind companies around. Hilary’s are pretty pricy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have a look at 247 blinds website.
    I've used them since April this year for house aswell as conservatory blinds and would recommend them.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Even with thermal roof and window blinds the conservatory will still be far too cold in the worst months - usually Jan and Feb.

You'll make yourselves ill.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Another thought, buy a convector heater (decent ones available from Argos), keep it on the low setting to maintain the room at a nice ambient temperature during the cold months. Even the best blinds won't do that and you need that boost for overnight temps.
  • road2manchester
    Options
    Blinds are not going to help with the temperature despite what Sandersons and many other top draw companies say about thermal fabrics,
    If you are adding blinds for privacy, the which type.
    Vertical blonds are cheapest
    Venatians , 1" slatts offer good privacy
    Rollers have big gaps where 2 blinds meet across flat surfaces ( because of the brackets).
    Pleated fabric and pretty .

The main issue with heat loss or gain in the roof. If its plastic or glass the heat goes up and through.

Your curtains if heavy enough still offer the best option .

No cheap options for roof blinds. £2000- 6000 is normal.

( I worked in the industry for some time)
  • HGW2012
    HGW2012 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried blinds 2 go?
    Made to measure, they do free thermal lining too. I have used and would recommend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure