WARNING re TRAIN GENIUS

Options
James000
James000 Posts: 23 Forumite
edited 24 October 2017 at 10:48PM in Praise, vent & warnings
WARNING - PLEASE DO NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY WITH THESE "TRAIN GENIUS" THIEVES AND BEWARE THEIR DEVIOUS STAFF

I ordered train tickets online from "TrainGenius" and paid £41.50. Tickets were to be posted by Royal Mail and reach me in "3-5 working days". Tickets didn't turn up in that time frame. I phoned the number given on their website to enquire as to their whereabouts and after 5 minutes on hold spoke to "Chanel".

Chanel said she would have to speak to her supervisor, and put me on hold (another 8 minutes). She came back and told me, to my absolute dismay that "there is nothing we can do". I asked her to confirm that what she in fact meant was "tough luck mate, your tickets are lost/haven't been posted and you've lost your money" - and she did!

I asked to speak to her supervisor and was put on hold again (9 minutes this time), before a [Removed] from the Arbroath call centre came on the line. To cut a very long discussion short, he washed his grubby hands of all responsibility and repeated the "not our fault, nothing we can do" mantra. He refused to refund me, refused to send out another set of tickets, refused to send out a replacement set of tickets even if I paid again for them to be sent Royal Mail Special Delivery this time and indeed refused to help in any way, shape or form. He insisted my problem was with Royal Mail, not TrainGenius. He was the most unhelpful customer care individual I have ever had the misfortune to encounter.

I informed him my dispute was with TrainGenius, whom I'd paid £41.50 for train tickets I hadn't received, and explained the law as I see it to [Removed], in that my contract was with TrainGenius, whom I paid my money to, and NOT Royal Mail. [Removed] had a real problem understanding this, and perhaps has been promoted to a position that is well beyond his capabilities, or is in need of further training, or both.

As it is, the conversation ended with [Removed] refusing point blank to refund me or send replacement tickets or help in any way. Apparently, if you pay £41.50 to TrainGenius for train tickets and they don't send them or they don't turn up - TOUGH! This company STEAL money from customers and treat them with utter contempt. PLEASE DO NOT USE THESE DUPLICITOUS THIEVES.

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    How did you pay ? If you used a debit or credit card, initiate a chargeback with your card provider

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback
  • James000
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will need to check, but I think I used my debit card as opposed to a credit card - am I still covered???
  • James000
    edited 24 October 2017 at 10:48PM
    Options
    Apologies - I should have read the link you kindly provided before asking if I'm covered. As I used either a Visa Debit or Credit card (I'll need to check) it would appear I could be covered. Thank you very much for the advice.

The money is one thing (I'll need to re-purchase train tickets for my journey) but the service, or lack of it, is more important. This company are beyond belief. Their customer care manager, [Removed] just basically kept repeating the "tough, I'm not willing to help, you've lost your money" line. I was astounded at his total inability or willingness to help.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whilst your complaint might be valid your plastering of an employees name over the forum will win you no points. There are times when a reasoned complaint without the drama/sarcasm will get you a better result but I suspect the hole your digging might preclude that now
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 October 2017 at 7:41PM
    Options
    James, did you find that this company were offering a better deal than all other sources of train tickets?

You will find that all train operating companies offer each others tickets and most do not charge for postage (unlike Train Genius who charge £1.70 for 1st class post) and most don't charge booking or card fees.

I see also that TG charge a booking fee of £1.00 per order and a credit card fee of 2%.

James, what attracted you to this company?

Have you read MSE's Cheap Train Tickets article?
    Train Genius haven't earned a mention. ;)

How are Train Genius linked to Travel Supermarket?
    I haven't found that link.
  • James000
    edited 24 October 2017 at 7:51PM
    Options
    Zzzzzzzz.........

If it's okay with you, I'll allow the forum moderators to decide what stands and what doesn't. Should they so decide to change the post, I'm perfectly happy with that.

I came on here to warn others about this "TrainGenius" outift, first post and all that, only to be met with the sarcasm and drama of a frustrated schoolteacher it seems. Welcome aboard?
  • James000
    Options
    Hi Keith,

To be honest, I don't often travel by train and just Googled "buy train tickets online" from a convenience point of view, in that it saved me a journey to my nearest staffed train station (22 mile round trip).

Lessons learned and all that.

When I clicked on their website to get a phone number, I was redirected to a website with a Travelsupermarket banner at the side. I now note that the actual call centre is run by a company called "Journeycall". It's all a bit confusing really.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 October 2017 at 8:10PM
    Options
    James000 wrote: »
    It's all a bit confusing really.

I guess it is.

Could it be just advertising that you saw?

I cannot find any link between train genius and travel supermarket.

Travel Supermarket is a trading style of MoneySupermarket.com Limited.

MoneySavingExpert.com Limited is owned by MoneySupermarket.com Limited.

Train Genius is a trading style of Assertis Ltd.

You might be wise to remove your assertions from your thread title and original post, but of course that is entirely your choice.
  • James000
    Options
    I will do Keith - thanks for the advice. I'll take as look again at the link I clicked - may just be advertising as you say.

Cheers.
  • James000
    Options
    Keith, there is definitely a link entitled "Receiving your train tickets" on the email I received from Train Genius. It goes to a Travel Supermarket page.......

It won't allow me to post the link on here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure