BT Contract Dispute

Options
Hi all,

It looks like I've reached the end of the complaint process with BT and we're at a deadlock.

To provide some context:

I renewed by package in November last year over the phone and at the time I asked if we would still have all of the same channels as the (at the time) current package. My main concern was losing the BT Sport UltraHD channel, so I even asked specifically about this. I was advised that we wouldn't lose any channels.

Now fast forward nearly a year after I've been largely working away from home and haven't really been using the package, and I now notice that we don't have BT Sport UltraHD. I phoned BT in the first instance, the best they could offer was paying £21 extra a month to get this channel... no thanks!

So I lodged a complaint citing the advice given to me during the call when the order was placed and asked them to check the call recording. I'd be equally happy to hold my hands up if I had misheard or read the sales rep wrong.

Now BT are saying that they cannot produce/find the call recording and that them sending me the email confirmation is sufficient proof of what I ordered. IMO the call contains the evidence of the terms I agreed to.

So basically I think the last step is to go to the ombudsman, but I'm in two minds whether it's worth the hassle or if I should just wait out the contract term and get rid of BT as soon as I can.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Should I stand my ground if they cannot provide evidence of what I signed up to?

Thanks,
T

Comments

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Does the email say that you will get UHD channels?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have the BT UHD TV box ??

Have you used your BT members community forum ? . This may lead to a top level CS taking up your case .
  • Thomas_C89
    Options
    Hi both,

The email I got from them just says:

"As a BT TV customer you can get access to the BT Sport and AMC channels."

Yes I have a UHD box. Like I said, I had the BT Sport UltraHD channel in my first year with BT.

I haven't been onto their forums yet, but it might be an option.

From a legal standpoint I just don't know if I can stand my ground by saying that they would need to provide proof of me agreeing to the terms.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Two problems you have is that 1. You can't prove your case, they can and 2. You have accepted this for nearly a year.

To win this you would have at least needed to bring any action shortly after your deal renewed to have a chance, nearly a year later acceptance has definitely taken place and agreeing to the contract is not in doubt here.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thomas_C89 wrote: »
    From a legal standpoint I just don't know if I can stand my ground by saying that they would need to provide proof of me agreeing to the terms.

You skipped the question earlier asking if UHD was mentioned in the email, reading your other posts I'm guessing not? If so then they do have proof and it's not in your favour.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 October 2017 at 10:48AM
    Options
    What TV pack are you getting, Starter, Entertainment or Max ?, as far as I can tell you only get the UHD channel on 'Max', the email or whatever confirmation you got 11 months ago presumably states the TV pack agreed , what does it say ?
    If ( nearly a year ago ) when you presumably renegotiated a new deal, if the basis of the deal was based on the 'entertainment' or 'starter' TV pack then I doubt getting the UHD was ever a possibility, but if you got standard or HD 'BT Sport' it's truthful to say you got the channel, if not in the way you wanted

As it's almost a year since you accepted this deal, and you didn't even notice the absence of the UHD channel till now, and you appear to be intending to quit BT TV anyway, I would say forget it and move on
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure