IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Council Charge

Hi there

I have recently been fined for parking on a hard standing, this is over 50ft from the road which is double yellows. I had been parking there for 7/8 years as had been told it was university land.
The council claim, "Your vehicle was parked in contravention of the double yellow lines restriction. While I note that the pavement is wide enough to park a vehicle on, other areas in the city are not of a similar size. Parking on the pavement is obstructive and inconvenient."

"While I note that you have parked there since 2009 without incurring a Penalty Charge Notice. Whilst I note this information, it bears no relevance to the fact that your vehicle was in breach of a parking regulation, and I can only suggest at the time of parking on previous occasions, officers were not patrolling the area in question. Civil Enforcement Officers work different shifts and are assigned to different beats and as such are not able to patrol every road, every day.
You also state that other vehicles were parked in front of the building without incurring a Penalty Charge Notice and have provided photograph evidence in respect of this. Having viewed your photographs of the other vehicles they are only showing the rear therefore it cannot be clarified whether they have been issued with a Penalty Charge or not. Irrespective of this I am unable to confirm any information regarding the issue of Penalty Charge Notices to other vehicles, but can state that Civil Enforcement Officers are trained to issue a Charge to any vehicle breaching restrictions."

My issue being;
1. That there are vehicles parked there daily, these are the same vehicles and are not ticketed.
2. Being parked in a corner alcove with a 20ft space to the side for so called pedestrians/vehicles.
3. This also being 70ft from a road.
4. Daily, observe wardens walk past not ticketing other vehicles.

My feeling is that, if it is a so called 'violation of the highway code' then all vehicles should be ticketed.
I feel discriminated that the council are searching for any legal spill to prevent parking, with random tickets being issued.
Is this something I can appeal or due to it being council I have to accept?
Any advice/information would be most appreciated.

Appologies if there was already a thread for this, due to learning difficulties I am unable to find the information.

Thank you:o

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Double yellows apply from the road to the back of the highway, regardless of how far this is.

If you want to appeal visit Pepipoo and go through the legal loopholes with the adjudicator.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

post your query in their council section
    (we major on private parking over here , sorry)
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    My feeling is that, if it is a so called 'violation of the highway code' then all vehicles should be ticketed.
    I wouldn’t have thought trying to get everyone else ticketed by sending photos of their vehicles would make one iota of difference to your case.

PePiPoo will help you. Go here:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&f=30

Please note that a hotmail email won’t be accepted there for registration purposes.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Thanks for the responses everyone.

'Umkoomas', I am not trying to get others ticketed, more to the fact of understanding what the difference is. They are university contractors and estates with sign written vehicles.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport