PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord Selling - Viewing confusion

Hi, I'm on a periodic month to month tenancy and I've been told that my landlord is now going to sell the property so will be issuing a section 21.

I'm assuming if my rent period is 1st to the 31st then he can issue this on 1st November and I'll need to leave on the 1st January or can he issue this at any time?

Can I also check what his rights are with regards to entering the property for viewings during the notice period?

They've not been particularly helpful with repairs etc. over the period of the tenancy so I'm not feeling particularly enamoured with the thought of them traipsing people in an out over the next 2 months.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    HE can issue at any point, it's just two calendar months.

You don't NEED to leave, you can stay for pretty much upto 40 weeks (that's on avg how long eviction takes)

Regarding viewings, what does your tenancy say?
  • Thanks for clarifying the notice

Not sure about tenancy agreement, it was lost in a written off car (long story!) so I haven't had a copy since about the time I moved in.
  • Comms69
    Thanks for clarifying the notice

Not sure about tenancy agreement, it was lost in a written off car (long story!) so I haven't had a copy since about the time I moved in.

Ask for a copy. It's impossible to say without it
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You dont need to allow viewings, its your home. You might be able to get a discount on your rent if you do, really your LL should be selling with vacant possession.
    I would change the locks in case you discover photos of your home online or muddy foot prints.
  • Comms69
    m0bov wrote: »
    You dont need to allow viewings, its your home. You might be able to get a discount on your rent if you do, really your LL should be selling with vacant possession.
    I would change the locks in case you discover photos of your home online or muddy foot prints.

Whilst I agree, there's little benefit in arguing the case at the minute. The viewings could be perfectly reasonable.

If it becomes too much or done without notice, then change the locks.
  • From memory I don't recall anything in the lease about viewings but could be wrong I guess.

Even if something is in there it doesn't make it an automatic does it? I mean the landlord could put something in there about being allowed entrance monthly with 12 dancing girls herding cats but just because it's in the lease doesn't mean it's above board.

I'm just wondering if there is anything legal or whathaveyou that says I have to or don't have to allow viewings (such as rules on deposit protection, notice periods etc.)
  • Comms69
    From memory I don't recall anything in the lease about viewings but could be wrong I guess.

Even if something is in there it doesn't make it an automatic does it? - well you signed it didn't you? I mean the landlord could put something in there about being allowed entrance monthly with 12 dancing girls herding cats but just because it's in the lease doesn't mean it's above board. - it's about reasonableness ....

I'm just wondering if there is anything legal or whathaveyou that says I have to or don't have to allow viewings (such as rules on deposit protection, notice periods etc.)

No, there is no statutory policy on viewings.
  • Thank you. The statutory policy was what I was wondering.

Yes I signed this lease but without getting into a disagreement over it, I've known some landlords to put all sorts of crap into leases and whether the tenant signed or not was irrelevant. It wasn't enforceable. You can't enforce what isn't 'legal'. If there was something in some legislation that said I had to allow the landlord access whenever for whatever I'd stick to it. My question was whether there was or not.

I'm not planning on being unreasonable but I wanted something in my hand to make sure they're not going to be unreasonable either. They've not been particularly helpful, or reasonable during the 3 years I've been with them and I can see this situation becoming particularly difficult hence wanting whatever "ammunition", for lack of a better word, in my arsenal.

I don't want to be swinging from the chandeliers with a fire whip while my gimp crawls around the floor singing Hi Ho Dandy and the landlord stroll in with prospective buyers in tow.
  • Comms69
    Thank you. The statutory policy was what I was wondering.

Yes I signed this lease but without getting into a disagreement over it, I've known some landlords to put all sorts of crap into leases and whether the tenant signed or not was irrelevant. It wasn't enforceable. - very true. But you must consider the reasonableness of the request. The law for example does not cover every aspect of a tenancy, and there a many enforceable things that can be added. You can't enforce what isn't 'legal'. - Yes you can :) If there was something in some legislation that said I had to allow the landlord access whenever for whatever I'd stick to it. My question was whether there was or not.

I'm not planning on being unreasonable but I wanted something in my hand to make sure they're not going to be unreasonable either. They've not been particularly helpful, or reasonable during the 3 years I've been with them and I can see this situation becoming particularly difficult hence wanting whatever "ammunition", for lack of a better word, in my arsenal.

I don't want to be swinging from the chandeliers with a fire whip while my gimp crawls around the floor singing Hi Ho Dandy and the landlord stroll in with prospective buyers in tow.
    That's fair enough and again reasonable notice will be part of any clause, typically 24 hr.

Or there may be no clause at all, in which case simply say no. But until you know....
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Don't tell the agent this. It could encourage lots of viewings on the off chance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure