No Claims Discount caps... 5 / 9 / 20 years

Options
I have built up a no claims discount of 17 years with Admiral. Unfortunately they can't come close the lowest price for new insurance with a new car I have bought.

Upon applying for insurance with other insurers it seems they will only give me a maximum of 5 or 9 years no claims discount at the end of their policy.

What's the correct situation with NCD now? Has it been standardised recently to a lower cap?

If I do go with a new insurer that will only give me a max of 5 / 9 years at the end of their policy, could I use my evidence of 17 years from admiral to be able to claim 18 years next year?

Thank you

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been advised you can use proof from various sources although it is up to individual insurers what they will accept.

Most insurers only seem to recognise between five and nine years so proof beyond this is irrelevant to the price although I think insurers should state claim free years not the X amount of years which they consider relevant.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's the correct situation with NCD now? Has it been standardised recently to a lower cap?
    It varies with companies. Also, a higher NCD does not mean lower prices.
    If I do go with a new insurer that will only give me a max of 5 / 9 years at the end of their policy, could I use my evidence of 17 years from admiral to be able to claim 18 years next year?
    Yes you can providing you have the evidence.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you started 9 years no claims with your current insurer and stay with them for 5 years but the renewal still says 9 years, you can contact them and ask for the proof of the real number of years of no claims.

But over 9 then i doubt any insurer will be any cheaper by having more.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure