Is my TV on the way out? Now Resolved (post 28)

Options
LadyDee
LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 13 October 2017 at 8:45AM in Techie Stuff
Elderly LG TV (6 years old), so not worth spending out to get it repaired (even if repairable).

I'm having trouble with the sound. Turn on BBC1, no sound. Switch to BBC2 (which has sound) then back to BBC1 and it's OK. It doesn't lose sound whilst I'm watching - it's just when I first select a programme, I have to go to the next one and switch back again to the programme I want to watch. I sometimes have to flick back and forth several times until I get the sound on the programme I want to watch.

It seems to be happening on many, if not all, programmes; and it's the same when using the TV direct through the aerial or through my Humax box.

I've answered my own question really I suppose, but just hoping that somebody can come up a solution?

PROBLEM NOW SOLVED (post no. 28)

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Can you Factory reset the TV through settings .
    Also check cables and HDMI settings .

Fails proceed to Richer Sounds .
  • LadyDee
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Can you Factory reset the TV through settings .
    Also check cables and HDMI settings .

Fails proceed to Richer Sounds .

Checked cables etc., done the factory reset, still the same. Looks like it could soon be the end then.

Problem is that I anticipate moving to Australia in the quite near future so reluctant to buy a TV now that might not work Down Under. Each time somebody on the Aussie forum asks the question about landline phones, TVs and the like, you get conflicting answers.

So, if anybody here does know about such things I'd be very grateful to hear their thoughts.
  • trigger_fish
    trigger_fish Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Elderly LG TV (6 years old), so not worth spending out to get it repaired (even if repairable).

Christ-elderly at 6 years old!!
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quick thought, if you don't bounce between channels, does the sound come on on it's own?
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • LadyDee
    Options
    Christ-elderly at 6 years old!!

I know - it's dreadful that my friends see me as being in the technological dark ages because of my six year old TV, my mobile phone that only makes phone calls, my car that doesn't have built-in satnav - and I could go on. Where things can be repaired then I have them repaired but anything over 12 months old is now looked on as being "not worth repairing".
  • LadyDee
    Options
    rmg1 wrote: »
    Quick thought, if you don't bounce between channels, does the sound come on on it's own?

It doesn't seem to - I left it on a silent channel about ten minutes ago and it's still the same.
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just thought it might be a dry joint (or similar) that connects up when it warms up a bit.

If that is the case, it should come on once the TV has been on a little while and got warm (but the problem will probably get worse)
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My Mum's just been complaining about the sound on her LG TV... it is a few years older mind you, bought in 2008. Her complaint is that the sound fades and she has to turn the TV up, then it'll go back to normal and be blaring. I'm just considering is it her own hearing that's going or the TV? :D
  • LadyDee
    Options
    mac.d wrote: »
    My Mum's just been complaining about the sound on her LG TV... it is a few years older mind you, bought in 2008. Her complaint is that the sound fades and she has to turn the TV up, then it'll go back to normal and be blaring. I'm just considering is it her own hearing that's going or the TV? :D

No - it's all part of The Big Plan to get us all to buy new TVs every few years. I feel her pain, I do have to increase the volume sometimes. Buy her a new telly!:D
  • LadyDee
    edited 10 October 2017 at 5:36PM
    Options
    I've now tried recording a channel with no sound, and I do get the sound when I play it back.

Edit - well it worked once, but tried again to make sure and it didn't the second time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure