Water Pipe Cover

I recently had a leak in my central heating system, it has all been repaired and the water damage fixed by the insurance, but the insurance did not cover the plumbing. I have since discovered that I have water pipe cover with Homeserve. Does anyone know if I can claim for the plumbing work retrospectively. Homeserve say I can't

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    The procedure for claiming will be set out in the policy.

Check the wording and if their advice is incorrect and you can use your own plumber then you have grounds for a complaint.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 October 2017 at 2:08PM
    Homeserve employ their own plumbers with a fleet of vans (plus they sometimes use sub-contractors). If you have a leak, you phone their call centre and your job gets allocated to one of their people who is nearby.

I guess it's a bit like the AA and car breakdowns. (And if your car broke down and you chose to get your car fixed at a garage instead of calling the AA, the AA wouldn't then pay your garage bill.)

You can double check your policy, but here's an extract from an example Homeserve policy:
    How do I make a claim?
    1. If an incident occurs at your property, which is covered by your policy, please call the claims number shown on your policy schedule and we will arrange for the incident to be dealt with in accordance with the terms and conditions of your policy.

2. Claims must be made by you or a person calling on your behalf. Please call us as soon as you are aware of the incident. We will not be able to cover the costs of any work carried out by persons not authorised by us in advance.

Link: http://cover.homeserve.com/PDF/tac_UUIP87A_NW27912.PDF
  • Thanks Chaps, It's not looking promising as they seem to be clear in the wording of the T's & C's.
    Worth a shot, couple of other things to try yet. I'll let you know if successful
  • HomeServe_company_representative
    HomeServe_company_representative Posts: 114 Organisation Representative
    Hi Richard

When it comes to our water pipe cover, we would cover you for a leak on your plumbing pipework. Under the Terms and Conditions of cover, HomeServe should be called to log the claim and we would then deploy a HomeServe or HomeServe approved engineer to complete the work under your policy. We can consider a reimbursement, however this is not guaranteed. You can certainly send a reimbursement request to our Admin department who can look into this for you. You can do this by sending the information to Freepost RLYC-LXAL-GEEH, Customer Admin Department – reimbursement request, HomeServe, Cable Drive, Walsall, WS2 7BN. If you would like any further assistance, please get in touch via email. Our email address can be found on our profile page.

Kind regards,

Alice
    Here To Help Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of HomeServe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Many thanks Alice for the information and your proactivity in this matter. I will certainly write to the Admin Dept. and hopefully there will be a happy conclusion to this. Just a pity I forgot I had this covered. Many thanks again.
  • BEWARE YOU MAY BE PAYING FAR TOO MUCH

What a rip off just had a renewal notice through, was paying £5.62 per month have been with homeserve for last 7 years annual bill for cover £67.44p AND NEVER CLAIMED!! this year premiun £99.00 nearly a 50% increase!!

Apparently I was told by their customer service person Sophie that it is now the company policy to HIKE the charge accross the board to all customers because they think the policy is worth it???? ( Is it not the customers decision whether it is worth it or not?)

After airing my disgust I was then offerd a price as an individual ( not sure what I was before???) an annual renewal for £55.00 so not only are they trying to rip us off this year I was clearly ripped off last year too!!!

This company has already been fined for misselling insurance policies IT APPEARS THEY ARE STILL AT IT BEWARE!!!!!

My policy with them is now ENDED

MY call with them was recorded and I will be contacting trading standards regarding this.
    If anyone else has received a similar experience please let others know.
    Thanks
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Trading standards won't be able to make a trader alter its charges!
  • fedupwithripoffcompanies
    fedupwithripoffcompanies Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 26 January 2018 at 11:58AM
    Thanks fully aware of that but People / customers can by contacting Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) !!! When TS are aware they can give advice to those who having issues with this company.
    Citizens advice is always a good place to report bad companies too.

Just making people aware this might be interesting to some!

This website telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/buildingsandcontent/10636425/HomeServe-fined-30m-for-mis-selling-to-70000-customers.html"
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    BEWARE YOU MAY BE PAYING FAR TOO MUCH

What a rip off just had a renewal notice through, was paying £5.62 per month have been with homeserve for last 7 years annual bill for cover £67.44p AND NEVER CLAIMED!! this year premiun £99.00 nearly a 50% increase!!

So, your insurance company have increased your premium. That's not unusual.

Apparently I was told by their customer service person Sophie that it is now the company policy to HIKE the charge accross the board to all customers because they think the policy is worth it???? ( Is it not the customers decision whether it is worth it or not?)

Apparently, or actually?

Of course the customer decides in their own mind whether it is worth it.

However, the management of the company have to decide a pricing structure. If the price is too low, the company won't make a profit (costs will eat up a lot or all of the revenue). If the price is too high, the company won't make a profit (not enough customers will purchase the product). The company will set the price with the objective of maximising long-term profit.
    After airing my disgust I was then offerd a price as an individual ( not sure what I was before???) an annual renewal for £55.00 so not only are they trying to rip us off this year I was clearly ripped off last year too!!!

So the company have decided they want to keep you as a customer, and offered you a discounted price to stay with them.

You then accuse them of ripping you off?

This company has already been fined for misselling insurance policies IT APPEARS THEY ARE STILL AT IT BEWARE!!!!!

Charging a known price for product, even insurance, is not miss-selling. It's not even ripping-off.

My policy with them is now ENDED

That's your decision, and presumably is based on the fact that you don't consider the price for the service to be good value for you. It's a decision we all make every day everytime we purchase goods or services.

MY call with them was recorded and I will be contacting trading standards regarding this.

Why on earth do you think trading standards would be interested in this?
    If anyone else has received a similar experience please let others know.
    Thanks

My local store offered some fruit squash at a discounted price of £1.00 per bottle last week, and this week the price has gone up to £1.25 per bottle. Who should I let know?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure