PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate agent's selling fees in England

sevenhills
sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 5 October 2017 at 8:22PM in House buying, renting & selling
Purple Bricks = £849

Other estate agents seem to want much more. I am trying to help a 90 year relative sell his house, but the one estate agent that I just had a online chat with, didn't want to tell me the fees they charge. That seems rather bizarre to me.
I will keep trying.
We will be selling in the next month or so, in LS27

Is there a compare site, I found this

http://cucompare.co.uk/get-instant-quotes/

Google says they charge 0.75% and 3.0%+VAT

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No.

Invite 3 local agents round.

* get each to provide a vlaue at which they suggest marketing the property
    * get each to provide a vlaue at which they reealistically expect to sell
    * negotiate a % fee (1%? 1.5 max) for sole agency contract
    * Do not agree to a sole selling contract
    * negotiate a miimum contract term ( 6 weeks? 8 weeks max)
    * discuss how they will market including list of websites
    * how many colour phots? Floor plan? etc

Choose 1.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Who will be 'in charge' of selling the property - you or your 90 year old relative?

Given that the vendor is 90 years old - I might prioritise EAs in a slightly different way from usual.

I might look for a more of an 'old school' EA, who might be better able to engage with the vendor, rather than a flash smooth-talking salesman in a shiny suit.

Also, if the property is more suited to 'older' buyers, prospective buyers might engage better with an 'old school' EA as well.

I believe that buyers and vendors manage viewings etc via an online portal with Purple bricks. That might put off 'older' buyers - as well as your relative.
  • ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
    I'm selling with Purple Bricks, but in this case I agree, go with a 'traditional' agent.

If you want Purple Bricks to do the viewings, it will be £300 more anyway.

If you can negotiate a 1% fee, some basic research tells me in your postcode area then there may not be much difference in fees anyway. Obviously depends on the individual house so excuse me if I'm wrong.

However, an agent who won't tell you what their fees are? Definitely bizarre, just move on and find some who will.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    ceh209 wrote: »
    I'm selling with Purple Bricks, but in this case I agree, go with a 'traditional' agent.

If you want Purple Bricks to do the viewings, it will be £300 more anyway.

If you can negotiate a 1% fee, some basic research tells me in your postcode area then there may not be much difference in fees anyway. Obviously depends on the individual house so excuse me if I'm wrong.

However, an agent who won't tell you what their fees are? Definitely bizarre, just move on and find some who will.

If their not bothered, why should you in terms of being transparent with their fees
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You’re near me :)
    Highly recommend Dacre Son & Hartley. The service wev received has been absolutely excellent, they are so lovely, really pro active, answer the phone and reply to you daytime, evenings and weekends and they are not charging us much more than Purple Bricks state (also read PB t&cs carefully as there are catches). I didn’t like the fact that everything Purple Bricks do is online as while it’s convenient sometimes, with something as expensive, complicated and important as buying/selling a house phone conversations with a a human are essential. The experience, knowledge and support we have received given that our purchase and sale has not been straight forward has been worth paying that bit extra for.
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • Natbag
    Also, check out reviews on the allagents website. PB in my area were rated ok for selling but not great for the process after.
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    eddddy wrote: »
    Who will be 'in charge' of selling the property - you or your 90 year old relative?

Given that the vendor is 90 years old - I might prioritise EAs in a slightly different way from usual.

I am thinking he will do things himself, I am just trying to help; he does have closer family that help a little.
    Even with my help Purple Bricks might be the wrong choice, but my relative will decide.
    Invite 3 local agents round

I will try to suggest 3 good ones to him.

Next door sold for £220k a short time ago, an online valuation put his house at £195k
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As much as I generally dislike estate agents, you need to ask yourself if they could improve upon the selling price by 1.2% (less the cost of Purple Bricks). Even the big names (Knight Frank, Savills etc) will sell for 1% plus VAT these days.

I must admit when I see Purple Bricks properties on Rightmove, I think "cheapskate". If I see Foxtons, I think "overpriced", if I see Knight Frank/Savills, I think "top end" etc. See what agents are being used to sell comparable properties and get them in to quote.

Can you wait til spring? This is always a bad time of year to be selling.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Natbag
    Have a look at some Rightmove listings in your area. Has the agent used professional photos and have they given a floor plan? What are you getting for the fee? If you want to fetch a good price for your property it’s worth considering.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,277 Forumite
    An online EA is totally inappropriate in this case. I know PB can provide a service where agents do the viewings, but in my experience, it's extremely difficult to book a viewing as a buyer this way. You make a booking online (it shows all times as available), only for their agent to cancel the viewing and suggest some other time you cannot do.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport