We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Using bricks to edge lawns

Options
loulou41
loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
Just got some bricks left over. I am thinking of using them to edge my circular lawn. Anybody got any tips how to go about it for a newbie. Thanks

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This should tell you all you need to know ;)

http://www.pavingexpert.com/edging08.htm
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2017 at 10:02PM
    Options
    If you want them to stay put you'll need to bed them in to concrete. Of you don't mind a bit of movement you really could just bury them so only 10mm or so protrudes above the surface, or flush, all neatly in line of course.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I'd suggest measuring the diameter of the lawn, dive by two to get the radius then calculating the perimeter (multiply the radius (say 200cm) by itself (so 200 x 200) and then multiply the answer by 3.14. Divide the answer by the length of the bricks in cm, so you are not mixing your units up, which will tell you roughly how many bricks are needed if they lie along the side).

Then, because that row of bricks makes the entire circle larger, calculate the new perimeter including the gap between the next course/divide by length of bricks again), rinse and repeat as necessary - to see whether you have enough bricks for the number of rings around it that you want.

Can't be much more irritating than running out of bricks a couple of foot from finishing.

If you don't do Maths, you'd have to lay them out around the edge to make sure.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It is many, many years since I did this at school, but you just described how to get the area of a circle (Pi x R squared) surely to do a boundary he needs the circumference (Pi x D)?

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2017 at 5:40PM
    Options
    I'd suggest measuring the diameter of the lawn, dive by two to get the radius then calculating the perimeter (multiply the radius (say 200cm) by itself (so 200 x 200) and then multiply the answer by 3.14. Divide the answer by the length of the bricks in cm, so you are not mixing your units up, which will tell you roughly how many bricks are needed if they lie along the side).

Then, because that row of bricks makes the entire circle larger, calculate the new perimeter including the gap between the next course/divide by length of bricks again), rinse and repeat as necessary - to see whether you have enough bricks for the number of rings around it that you want.

Can't be much more irritating than running out of bricks a couple of foot from finishing.

If you don't do Maths, you'd have to lay them out around the edge to make sure.

Totally wrong, he doesn't want to cover it in bricks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure