PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EDC-Echange with delayed completion, pros and cons?

Options
Hello
We have a buyer who is struggling to get a mortgagee offer, and have been told they will be considered in summer next year.
They have already paid for searches and bank did valuation.

The buyer is now offering a delayed completion scenario and I cant find much info on this option.

Any advice or links you can share? Property is currently empty and my main reason for considering it is its taken a year to get this offer

They are proposing a 50% deposit. And paying mortgagee costs, but want to move in also. I didn't think such a thing existed but may consider it if little risk to us.
Home owner since 19/08/2011:j

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're happy with the 50% deposit and firm Completion date next summer - fine.

But think hard, take advice, and do research, befoffe agreeing to letting the property to them.......

Start here:

* New landlords: advice, information & links
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    helenftb wrote: »
    They are proposing a 50% deposit. And paying mortgagee costs, but want to move in also. I didn't think such a thing existed but may consider it if little risk to us.

Do they intend to pay you any rent - or will they be living rent free and mortgage payment free?

The risk is that they don't complete and you have to take them to court to get them out - plus maybe they trash the place.

But on the plus side, I guess you would have the 50% deposit to cover your losses.

But realistically, once they tell their solicitor their plan - I expect he/she will tell them that they're bonkers, and they will back out. Exchanging contracts when...

- you have no mortgage in place
    - you have had your mortgage application rejected
    - you are hoping that your lender will change their mind and a future application will be accepted

... is pure madness.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport