is universal credit a state benefit?

It might be silly question, I know ;)

I am doing my Self Assessment for year 2016/17. For few months I was employed and also self-employed. Then I have had to stop working and went for Universal Credit.

One of the question in Self Assesment is "Did you receive any UK pensions, annuities or state benefits, for example, state pension, occupational pension, retirement annuity, Incapacity Benefit?" Does it count UC? If so, how to calculate "amount I was entitled to receive in the year, not the weekly or 4 weekly amount"?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Yes, Universal Credit is a 'state benefit'.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    newbee007 wrote: »
    .... If so, how to calculate "amount I was entitled to receive in the year, not the weekly or 4 weekly amount"?
    Yes, it's a state benefit:

How do you calculate? Look at your bank statements or award letter(s) and work out how much you received between 06/04/2016 & 05/04/2017.

(What's odd is I'm doing my SA also: I get 6 benefits (I'm old) - including state pension - and other pensions and in previous years needed to add up those. This year I'd done so, got to that section of SA & found "they" knew what I'd received, thankfully not making the basic sums error I had. System might well already have a figure for you .... )

Ain't self assessment "fun"! (You didn't ask, I'm merely curious, what other income do you have requiring SA ??)

Best regards.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    UC is not a taxable benefit so I wouldn't count it for self assessment purposes. Those examples you have given are taxable.

I think you asked the wrong question, some state benefits are taxable others are not.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    As said, only taxable state benefits are relevant for self assessment. IC isn’t taxable. A full list of taxable/non taxable state benefits are on the gov site. It also confirms UC isn’t included on the SA notes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure