Where to get music for Amazon Alexa?

Options
Kim_kim
Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I have an echo, my daughter has the tall one.
She seems to have every song ever written on hers!
Mine had almost nothing - I "think" just my mediocre iPhone playlist - is that right?
Do I have to subscribe to the amazon music to have music or is there another option? Are there any other subscriptions that would get me music that might be better value? Prime - does that include music?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know as I don't have an Alexa, but surely the easiest way for you to get an answer is to ask your daughter?
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I don't know as I don't have an Alexa, but surely the easiest way for you to get an answer is to ask your daughter?

She didn't set hers up.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It'll be related to your Amazon account. Presumably you and your daughter both have your own Amazon accounts and that's why she's got plenty of music available and you don't.

If you have bought music from Amazon in the past, those albums should be available, and you can upload your own music (mp3 obviously) to your Amazon cloud (now simply known as Your Music), and you can also link it to a Spotify subscription. If you sign up for Prime then you will get access to around 1 million songs, or sign up for Music Unlimited to get access to pretty much everything (40 million songs). Or you can listen to music stations via the Tunein Radio.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    mac.d wrote: »
    It'll be related to your Amazon account. Presumably you and your daughter both have your own Amazon accounts and that's why she's got plenty of music available and you don't.

If you have bought music from Amazon in the past, those albums should be available, and you can upload your own music (mp3 obviously) to your Amazon cloud (now simply known as Your Music), and you can also link it to a Spotify subscription. If you sign up for Prime then you will get access to around 1 million songs, or sign up for Music Unlimited to get access to pretty much everything (40 million songs). Or you can listen to music stations via the Tunein Radio.

I don't have loads of music on my iPhone.
    So it's amazon prime or the radio?
    That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if I was missing a budget option.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought Alexa would know the answer ??
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    I would have thought Alexa would know the answer ??
    Ha you're right, that's probably the easiest way, just ask Alexa, isn't that what your Echo/Dot is there for? :D
  • Magerit
    Magerit Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    via youtube you can find almost all kinds of music and this is completely free of charge
  • Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Magerit wrote: »
    via youtube you can find almost all kinds of music and this is completely free of charge

thats great, and can Alexa play music from youtube?
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options
    Amazon offer a "Prime Music" option per Echo device at (IIRC) £3 - £4 a month - full Prime music library but only playable via that single machine. Otherwise its full Prime music subscription. You can also link your Spotify account, but I think that's only possible if you have a paid-for Spotify account. Default Radio Player is Tune In, which has a pretty broad range of stations, or the UK specific "Radioplayer". IF you ask "Alex, play radio 2" then by default it will use Tune In. I find Radioplayer better quality (i.e. fewer drop-outs). There are some "hacks" to get it to play music from elsewhere (e.g. Plex), but you need to be fairly tech-savvy and they're not very robust.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure