Holiday Car Hire at Naples (Italy) Airport

Options
I want to hire a car from Naples Airport next April for a week. I've been horrified by the numerous posts on various internet forums from people who have been scammed and ripped off by the clutch of hire car companies who are based there. Does anyone have any advice or any stories to share? I'm thinking of paying more to rent from Hertz (via one of the search engine companies recommended on this site), which I'm being quoted at about 20% more than their competitors, but I wonder if it's worth it? Reading the stories of other travellers, it seems Locauto is one company in particular to avoid like the plague.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Join gold rewards for free and get some additional benefits https://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/member/enrollment/gold/step
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • AlSto
    AlSto Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Book direct with Hertz via Quidco and use a discount code. Don't neglect to purchase standalone car hire excess insurance. https://www.bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection

Make sure they close off your account with a final invoice when you hand off the car.
  • fred_b_2
    Options
    I used Hertz back in June 2017 . I collected a parking ticket which I have only just heard about ( November 2017). Hertz have passed on my details to the Italian authorities and have charged me a fee for their admin . Ok so far BUT they have stated that they will deduct the fee from the credit card I used in June . Clearly they have retained all my c/c details!!! I don't recall saying they could just retain my financial information .How long are they intending to keep them for ?
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    fred_b wrote: »
    I used Hertz back in June 2017 . I collected a parking ticket which I have only just heard about ( November 2017). Hertz have passed on my details to the Italian authorities and have charged me a fee for their admin . Ok so far BUT they have stated that they will deduct the fee from the credit card I used in June . Clearly they have retained all my c/c details!!! I don't recall saying they could just retain my financial information .How long are they intending to keep them for ?
    I suspect there's a lot of small print you didn't read.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We booked Enterprise from Pisa airport and were surprised it was actually Locauto who we got the car from.
    Had problems when we returned the car due to us/me not seeing/noting all the damage produced by a large dent from the previous user and Locauto charging us for a small graze which wasn't noted at the time of rental.

My fault for not seeing the full damage when inspecting the car initially but car was in an awkward place for inspection and raining at the time.
    I think I was set up but have to take the responsibility myself.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We booked at the airport as we got there. The only shock was the cost! We thought it would be straight forward but wished we'd booked in advance. The queue was very long and we felt we wasted a lot of time.

Driving around Naples was all but a pleasant experience and we quickly understood why hiring cost so much! We had no issue at all though, returned the car without any surprises.

We made sure to take pictures before and after, but they hardly looked at the car when we returned it. We got a final invoice many weeks later which we first thought were additional charges but were just the invoice!
  • skint_chick
    Options
    Where are you going that you need a car? If it's down to Sorrento and the Amalfi coast then the train and buses would be much better. The train is easy and cheap, then you can get buses everywhere to go sightseeing and the coast road is narrow and windy and the drivers don't give an inch. You would need to be very confident!
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure