Estate agents charging £300 to clean a clean flat?

Hi,

I’ve recently began my final year of studies and have just received an email from the estate agent I used when renting a flat last year, regarding cleaning charges.

Upon arrival to my flat last year, the place was unfinished, with industrial everywhere, minimal furniture in place, and tools still lying around within the flat. We received an initial rent reduction of half a month off, no worries.

Prior to leaving the flat, I paid for cleaners to come in and clean the place, it’s was left almost spotless and I have pictures to prove this, aswell as pictures at the start of the tenancy to prove the state of the flat then.

I’ve today received an email stating that I’m being charged £300 for an unnecessary ‘deep clean appliance clean’ all of the deposit that I put down. I’m not sure who they got in to clean the flat, but at them rates, it must have been bloody royalty. Baring in my mind the state of the flat upon my arrival and the way I left the place, I’m clearly being ripped off. Some of the pictures they sent me as evidence for the flat being left untidy where laughable, one being a close up of a KFC wipe in the back corner of a shelf. Surely the estate agents should account for minimal wear and tear?

Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of going straight to the managing director of the estate agents with a complaint, but would that get me anywhere?

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• This type of behaviour from landlords is normal and unless your deposit was protected and you have photographic evidence of the place before and after there’s not much you can do.
  • 1994Baz94
    1994Baz94 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Shel,

I do have photographic evidence of before and after. Anything I can do?
  • Did they protect your deposit? If so appeal to them, they will mediate
  • Lingua
    Lingua Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Appeal to the scheme your tenancy was protected under - is it TDS? As mentioned above, they will mediate the dispute. Submit your photographic evidence, as well as a receipt for the clean you paid for if possible.

Good luck!

Lingua
    Long-Term Goal: £23'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure