road tax reminders thought

I was wondering do they actually send the road tax reminders with any sort of confirmation that they have been received? am sure I didnt get mine but got the penalty notice couple of days back. I got the car in april 2008 and it came with 6 months road tax i put 6 months on then normally try to do the year but some how it ran out 2 months ago. The car has never been SORN so i would of thought it was like april and october for the months it needed taxed.

Any way paid the fine but was just wondering if there a way they make sure u get the letters in the 1st place and they also used 2nd class on the fine 1 so not impresed if it was that urgent surely 1st class signed for would be the standard

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Buy a calendar, if its 7 days before its due then contact them.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• They're not your minders, it really is up to you to ensure your vehicle is legal.
    If you have problems doing this, pay monthly direct debit, then they take it automatically.
  • p90
    p90 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Set up the DD now, still thought the letters would be sent signed for though, the amount they rob from me whats a couple of £ to make sure i get them :D
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    In the old days we had quite a good system, you used to get a piece of paper which you put in the window which would act as a reminder. :cool:
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    In the old days we had quite a good system, you used to get a piece of paper which you put in the window which would act as a reminder. :cool:

The piece of paper didn't really work either, I'd have my new tax disc to put on display in the glovebox and forget when the month came around.
  • p90
    p90 Posts: 3 Newbie
    yh paper 1 was good for the reminder part but used to hate having it in corner of windscreen, never had bother with this either just main concern was y they dont send it recorded and signature as its pretty vital u get it and royal mail aint always 100% delivery
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    DUTR wrote: »
    The piece of paper didn't really work either, I'd have my new tax disc to put on display in the glovebox and forget when the month came around.

why wait to put it in the window?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    p90 wrote: »
    yh paper 1 was good for the reminder part but used to hate having it in corner of windscreen, never had bother with this either just main concern was y they dont send it recorded and signature as its pretty vital u get it and royal mail aint always 100% delivery

that cost would then be added on to everyones tax, why should we all pay for those forgetful people, and for those that work it would also mean a trip to get it just to be told to pay your tax.. no thanks
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    You've been able to pay by ongoing DD for the last three years. Even less of an excuse for abysmal personal administration...

OP - no, they do not have to confirm receipt. They do not even have to send the reminder - it is a courtesy only, not a legal requirement. It is your responsibility as registered keeper to ensure your vehicle is legal. It's easy to check when your tax and MOT are due - https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

There is nothing stopping you putting a piece of paper on your windscreen with tax expiry date if that is what you need to help you remember. You could even add the insurance renewal date and MOT expiry date and make it even more useful than before!.
    p90 wrote: »

It's not vital that you get it at all. It's very easy to check when it expires and there are many different ways to make sure you don't forget.

There is no automatic system to remind you to get your MOT so you must forget this every year?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure