7th Birthday Party

Options
DS1 turns 7 mid November.

We have said he can have a party at home for him and 7 to 9 friends. (Have not got the budget to take them all out!)

We have a decent sized living room and a big dining table to sit them all round.

So how do I entetain 8 to 10 kids for 2 hours???? The weather will no doubt be rubbish, so entertainment needs to be indoors.

Any suggestions???? He seems a little old for pass the parcel!

I'm thinking making their own cakes (buy squirty icing and decoration stuff and buns), and perhaps make their own pizzas to eat, but I need some other form of 'entertainment '.

Please help!!!
Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)

Comments

• onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 2 October 2017 at 10:18PM
    Options
  • KaratePigeon
    Options
    I don't think 7 year olds are too old for pass the parcel, my kids are 6 and 8 and still like the old-fashioned games - musical chairs/statues, just put some music on have a dance competition (cha-cha slide, gangnam style etc always goes down well). give out glow sticks and turn the lights off. Get a pinata? - anything with sweets is always popular! balloon games where they have to pass it down the line. Craft activities - tend to be more popular with the girls than boys but they still like to paint ceramics, make keyrings etc. Tbh decorating cakes sounds good if you don't mind the mess - though I did the pizzas once and wouldn't recomend it, too much hard work and stress trying to cook them all! Good luck, the 2 hours will fly by :)
  • katglasgow
    Options
    My 10 year old daughter and her pals would still want pass the parcel musical statues etc you could also introduce the mars bar game and some team challenges and hire some sweeties in the garden so they get to run about a bit.
    Me debt free thanks to MSE :T
  • indsty
    indsty Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    Children still love the old fashioned party games. Pass the parcel, musical chairs, musical bumps etc. Two teams, passing a balloon through legs or under chin. Flapping a newspaper fish from one end of the room and back again. Camp fire tea - sitting on the floor in a circle, ask questions, every time you get a right answer they get to eat a bite! Pinch a couple of halloween ideas - ducking for apples etc. Who can eat a donut without licking their lips.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I completely agree that this age group would like a traditional party with traditional games. Something like hot dogs would be really easy to make to to feed them.

Personally I'd prefer to hire a small hall for a couple of hours then there's more room to run about but if you can't afford it then your sitting room will be fine.

What about taking them all to the cinema with a bag of goodies to munch their way through? Not sure of your budget.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    we don't have a lot of money so when it was lo's birthday I did it at home. TBF I spent as much as I would have if I had hired a hall/gone to a soft play!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Our only local soft play is vile and in desperate need of a clean, so not keen to go there!

He quite likes the idea of having all his friends round.

I think I will opt for some silly games and hotdogs also sound like a good idea! Much easier than pizza!

I'm thinking Pieface championship... I don't mind mess!

If it's dry we can do some garden games.

Thanks for the ideas!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I found giving something like hotdogs or hamburgers was much easier than serving sandwiches etc.

Watching a DVD would also go down well - accompnaned by some popcorn.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A game of statues / sleeping lions! Ha ha! I think some old fashioned games would be fun. Pin the tail on the donkey, pass the parcel definitely is a great one. Could you do some face painting for them?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    At that age, ours were quite into Thunderbirds. It's remarkably easy to make Thunderbird hats and sashes from pale blue paper, you get them to do it at the start and they're then in costume.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport