5-yearly electricity test certificates

Options
Putting house on market and had survey done for Home Report (Scotland), really puzzled by one of the survey comments.

Very good survey with only 3 minor items recommended for future repair or replacement. However, one of the items under 'Electricity', states:

"It is recommended that all electrical installations be checked every five years to keep up to date with frequent changes in safety regulations. There is no recent test certificate available."

We do have storage heaters, but this does not seem to apply to them as they feature in another category of Heating and Hot Water, where the report says "There are no obvious defects affecting the heating system."

I've never heard of this requirement for test certificates?

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 October 2017 at 7:57AM
    Options
    It's not a legal requirement for a domestic property. It's just the surveyor covering his backside. Note that - in Scotland - a safety check IS required if the property is being rented out to tenants. But for a normal "family" home there is no legal requirement.

Yes, it's probably sensible to get the electrics checked every so often, especially if they're quite old. And a purchaser may well pay for a check to be carried out - any defects could then be used to negotiate a discount.

Worth pointing out - regulation changes are not retrospective. So a new installation would have to comply with the current regulations, but if the house was built 30 years ago, it would have had to comply with the regulations in force at that time. There is no requirement to bring it in line with current regs. Of course, you may choose to do so for your own peace of mind, or to increase the saleability of the house - but there's no legal requirement to do so.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    It's like everything else these days, not a damn given about safety, only about having someone to blame if anything goes wrong.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Contrary to the incorrect information you have been given there is a legal obligation in Scotland to have a valid Electrical Installation Condition Report for a tenants property.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Risteard wrote: »
    Contrary to the incorrect information you have been given there is a legal obligation in Scotland to have a valid Electrical Installation Condition Report for a tenants property.
    Nobody said anything about a tenants property so where is the incorrect information?
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    Risteard wrote: »

I do know that - but the OP is talking about putting their house on the market and having a home report done. So the law regarding tenancy doesn't apply. And that's what I meant when I referred ( somewhat ambiguously, perhaps ) to "domestic" situations - I meant to imply that the law for landlords is different to that for ordinary housebuyers.
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes it's an owner occupied house, no tenants.

Did feel that the surveyor was only trying to find fault, having given everything except 3 items a rating of 1 (no problem).

Was only surprised that we'd never heard of 5-yearly testing. House was built in 1970s, but has been very well maintained and did, in fact, get a new fuse box fitted (with an electrical completion certificate) around 8 years ago when electric shower was installed.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Be_Happy wrote: »

Did feel that the surveyor was only trying to find fault.....
    Not really. It sounds like part of a copy and paste job he always does in the report and nothing personal.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    Be_Happy wrote: »

Did feel that the surveyor was only trying to find fault

To be fair, he was probably just covering himself. He's not an electrician, and as such cannot really comment on the electrics. And the 5-year check is merely a "recommendation". It could be argued that it's not unreasonable to "recommend" an inspection. In fact, it's usually pretty standard on most reports.

You say the house was built in the '70s, so the wiring is probably 40-ish years old ? As long as you've not noticed any problems ( e.g. circuit-breakers constantly tripping ) then there's no need for concern. And if you've had a new Consumer Unit fitted recently, I would say there's even less cause for concern - any problems would have come to light then.

As I said before, the purchaser may wish to have a check carried out ( at their expense ) before completing the purchase. That's not unreasonable, but don't let them try and kid you that the house absolutely MUST be rewired just because it's old, and please can you knock £5k off the price to allow for this :)
  • Heedtheadvice
    Options
    Regarding the 5 year check.....
    I presume Risteard was only clarifying the statement that, if taken by itself, is strictly incorrect and might lead to someone being misled if taken outside the context of this thread.
    The statement would be fine if the caveat "(except for rented property)" or some such were added?

Can I suggest an edit to post 2 Scrooge?
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    Regarding the 5 year check.....
    I presume Risteard was only clarifying the statement that, if taken by itself, is strictly incorrect and might lead to someone being misled if taken outside the context of this thread.
    The statement would be fine if the caveat "(except for rented property)" or some such were added?

Can I suggest an edit to post 2 Scrooge?

Fair point - original post edited.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport