Over 50's, how did you accumulate your wealth?

Options

Comments

• nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have been married four times.
    Unfortunately each of my wives had unforseen and tragic accidents on our respective honeymoons.
    Due to being a prudent type of person I had luckily always taken out substantial life insurance policies on our marriage days.Added to which I had volunteered to take over all assets and bank accounts to save them any financial worries.On their demises all these said assets and accounts had already been transferred into my name so avoided any complications.
    I have always been a great believer in insurance which twinned with feminine naivity has enabled me to enjoy my present comfortable lifestyle.
    Sounds like you could write a script for Midsummer.
  • robin61
    robin61 Posts: 677 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2017 at 8:11PM
    Options
    Boingsaid seems to have is sussed. However...

Been fortunate enough to have chosen a job with a decent DB scheme which I've been in for almost 40 years and have been reasonably successful in progressing to more senior jobs within the company.

Started an extra DC scheme in my 30s modest contributions at first ramped up recently

Buying my first property in my 20s and always making money on each of my 4 properties and having the mortgage paid off by aged 50 enabling me to invest more in pensions

Paying into the AVC linked to my DB scheme from age 50

Being lucky enough to have a job with a company car since in my 20s so haven't wasted money on car depreciation.

Living within my means always even if it meant doing without certain things especially when I first got on the housing ladder.

Managing to only get married once.

My wife took out a DC scheme in her 20s which is worth a handy sum and will come in very useful. Good move by her as it means we will take advantage of 2 tax allowances once retired. I've been trying to add to this for her recently.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Being born in the UK, having access to free healthcare
    Taking advantage of free primary, secondary and tertiary education
    Me working abroad ... and not paying any UK income tax

"free" means paid for by the taxpayer. Then you avoided paying taxes yourself, and still you feel qualified to preach to us. Remarkable.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just bought a house and lived in it. The increase in value far outweighed my wages (1960s 70s & 80s) Then sold up and went long term sailing.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On my late fathers advice. Started my first pension plan when I was 17. £10 a month. Was arund 9% on my monthly take home pay.
  • Marine_life
    Options
    What is wealth?

£10,000?
    £100,000?
    £1,000,000?

When I was in my teens (and interest rates were 10%) I had a dream to have £100,000, invest it and live off the interest.

I started my first job in 1986 in London earning £6,900 per year gross, my manager at the time was earning around £13,500 which I thought was unbelievable wealth.

According to some crazy statistics:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050615/are-you-top-one-percent-world.asp

An average income of $32,400 would put you in the top 1% of earners globally.

Anyway, my point is, wealth is relative.

Personally, my wealth came almost exclusively from salary and more recently some investment returns.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Earn a good salary.
    Most money put into house - nice to bring up family in nice house and potential pension from downsizing.
    Buy top quality products that you research extensively before purchase. Love them and maintain them and they will last for years. Especially cars.
    DIY maintenance. Avoid labour charges. Parts are generally cheap.
    Avoid all Apple products.
    Avoid private education and healthcare.
    Invest in good food & fitness.
    Cycle.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Work hard and take opportunities. Salary enabled choices. I paid off extra on mortgage every month, yes honestly - every singe month. At first its negligible but it snowballs. Paid off in full 3 months before I hit 40, decent home for my family.

I didn't spend on stuff I couldn't afford, but we have had nice holidays and some reasonable cars - all second hand until mortgage free.

I paid 5% - then later 7.5% into a pension PLUS avc's from in my 20's.

I got made redundant at age 48 and the redundancy payment enabled me to start a business renovating property. Like everyone has said its all relative, but I will take my pension at age 55, a measly £1000 a month once I've taken the max lump sum.

I will have hopefully, shortly after retirement lump sum spent, 4 properties owned outright, the 1 we live in and 3 rented out. I will probably still do a bit of property renovation / development, 1 or 2 projects a year.

A good project generates about £30 - £40k GROSS profit, and I share it 50 / 50 with my brother. If you don't know what gross and net profit are you probably should not consider self employment.

So in a way property has been a huge contributor, but without capitol to get going, from savings and redundancy, I probably couldn't have done it.

Small wealth by a lot of peoples standards, but I think we will be happy. Health becomes so much more important as you age!
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My instant reaction to the question was along the lines of 'putting in the hard yards to get a decent salary and then saving a large percentage of it'. On further thought though, I have to recognise what a huge factor inheritance has been in getting me where I am now. Not inheritance of money - my parents are still alive as are DW's. Inheritance of much of their attitudes regarding frugality and the importance of education (they taught me to read before I started primary school). That foundation set me on the road, via Grammar school and Cambridge to a good income and the wisdom not to spend all of it. Thanks Mom and Dad.
  • Spreadsheetman
    Options
    Good Question:

• Came from a poor background, but worked hard at college to get a good degree that leads to well-paid jobs (engineering).
    • Never fell into the trap of lifestyle inflation.
    • Married a sensible, intelligent woman with similar inexpensive tastes.
    • Didn't have kids. (not a money choice though)
    • Bought a house in an area where they have appreciated a lot. And never moved house to trade up.
    • Driven old, cheap, reliable cars until they could not be economically repaired.
    • Took a big risk leaving a good job to start my own business aged 40.
    • Worked hard, didn't give up and had a few lucky breaks.
    • Always saved as much as possible and and had an eye on pensions and the future.

This would have worked out anyway without having my own business, but that has accelerated things a lot and increased the money safety margin at the cost of a lot more work & stress. Currently I am planning to go 10 years before SP age, but I had never counted on working after 60 anyway.

I slightly envy people with a gold-plated DB pension for the security it gives, but I have managed to get to a place where I should have more than enough (unless the UK does a Venezuela post-brexit and the economy collapses completely).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure