Query: Any benefit for sponsoring spouse's post graduation

Hey all!

I have been following MSE forums for all my financial decisions and posting for the first time as i couldn't already find any thread related to my query.

I am on a Tier 2 General visa in UK and would be sponsoring my spouse's(on Tier 2 Dependent) post graduation course. As she applied late for the course, we could not get any financial grant/scholarship and would be paying up the full course amount(around GBP 11,500).

I am considering to take this on my existing credit card and transfer it to a balance transfer credit card(applied for Barclay 25 months fee free card).

My query is regarding benefits from tax point of view. I did some research and could not find any tax relief for sponsoring education of my spouse. Again, I have only been 9 months in UK, hence would like to check with you all if there is any benefit i can claim for sponsoring her post graduation(preferable, as i am in higher rate) or if i get the invoices on her name, would she get any tax benefits once she starts work?

Thanks for looking in. Have a good day!

Comments

• Why would you get tax relief for paying her fees? There are none and none once She qualifies, just your credit card left to pay.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hello tron05 and welcome to the MSE forum.

I have never heard of any tax deductions for individuals sponsoring the tuition fees of their family in the UK. So think you are out of luck on this one.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • tron05
    tron05 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you!

Had put up this query as there were tax relief on the interest amount paid on education loans in the Country I moved out from.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure