Ryanair cancellation: Which travel insurance policies would cover it?

koru
koru Posts: 1,501 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 23 September 2017 at 12:50PM in Overseas holidays & travel planning
The recent RyanAir cancellations have highlighted that most travel insurance policies do not cover losses due to the airline cancelling a flight. So, you can't claim for, say, your lost accommodation costs, if you can't get another flight to use your hotel/apartment.

I was surprised to find this big hole in most cover. So, I thought it would be good to have a thread for people to post examples of policies that do cover losses that are incurred as a consequence of cancellation of flights.

Can we restrict this thread to discussion of travel insurance? There are other threads on other aspects of the RyanAir debacle.
koru

Comments

• koru
    edited 23 September 2017 at 11:15AM
    I had a look at Eurotunnel, a favourite for those with pre-existing medical conditions. I don't think they would cover consequential losses.

The basic rule looks promising: They cover "unused personal accommodation, transport charges and other travel expenses...if you cancel your journey before it begins because of reasons beyond your control".

However, they exclude cover for "Anything caused by:
    • anything the company providing your transport or
    accommodation, their agents, any person acting for you
    or your conference organiser is responsible for;"

Perhaps this just means they won't pay for the lost flight, because the airline is responsible for doing this. Or does it mean that as the flight cancellation is the indirect cause of being unable to use the accommodation, the airline is "responsible"? I'm not sure.
    koru
  • koru
    Looks like LV's Premier policy would cover it:
    https://www.lv.com/atheart/features/flight-cancelled-how-to-claim-and-what-youre-covered-for

Unsurprisingly, their premiums are high.

Martin's three cheap recommendations don't seem to cover this: Holidaysafe Lite, Coverwise Bronze and Leisure Guard Lite.
    koru
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The insurers are highly likely to only include cover for cancellations due to extraordinary circumstances.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Would be worth dropping a message to the forum team to ask if they could research this? I found myself in a similar situation with AF, who did pay for the night I missed, but only because I was a Platinum customer and because I made a pain of myself.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Would be worth dropping a message to the forum team to ask if they could research this? I found myself in a similar situation with AF, who did pay for the night I missed, but only because I was a Platinum customer and because I made a pain of myself.

That's a good point.

I looked at the forum travel section yesterday and was surprised that there wasn't a feature on it.

I haven't checked my own insurance yet as I'm not travelling until November so still slightly hopeful.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Nationwide have a note on their site:
    Cancellation of Ryanair flights

You might have heard that Ryanair are cancelling 2,024 flights over the next six weeks. We know this might affect some of our members, so we’d like to let you know what you can do.

If your flight has been cancelled, the first thing you’ll need to do is contact Ryanair to see what your options are. Under EU regulations, Ryanair have to arrange another flight for you or offer you a refund. We’d recommend thinking carefully about whether or not to cancel your trip altogether, as other costs like hotels or car hire aren’t always covered by travel insurance policies, including ours, if you didn’t book them through Ryanair.

We hope the cancellations don’t cause you too much trouble, and if we can help with anything else, just let us know.

This communication is for general guidance only and does not constitute definitive advice (19 September 2017)
    I recently booked a short trip, flying with Ryanair. I chose to pay the hotel on arrival so that I get free cancellation, rather than upfront. Normally I don't like to pay upfront as its a gamble on the exchange rates - but given the increased likelihood I might need the option of cancellation, and the fact rates are historically low I figured it was worth the risk!
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2017 at 9:06PM
    Self insure.
    Its always been possible to book flexible/cancellable rates but prepaid/ no or limited refund rates are usually cheaper.
    BTW, I always go for the absolute cheapest one myself, so if affected by the recent situation I would have been in stook.
    I would have of course tried to force a rerouting via A N OTHER airline

Sidenote
    Flight cancellations is not unique to Ryanair.
    All airlines cancel routes due to poor sales etc ALL THE TIME.
    Additionally, most overbook so often passengers only find out they arent flying when they turn up at the airport.
    None of them cover any additional costs. They all , also try to force refunds rather than re routing via other carriers.
  • koru
    Self insure.
    Its always been possible to book flexible/cancellable rates but prepaid/ no or limited refund rates are usually cheaper.
    I agree, if the only policies that cover these risks cost, say, £120 instead of £20, it might be better to pay extra for the right to cancel your accommodation, or just keep the £100 difference and accept that you are running the risk of losing a holiday you had already paid for. But if there are policies that cover this risk and only cost a few pounds more, it might make sense to pay a little bit extra so you know that if an airline does cancel on you you get the money back and can book another holiday.
    Sidenote
    Flight cancellations is not unique to Ryanair.
    All airlines cancel routes due to poor sales etc ALL THE TIME.
    Additionally, most overbook so often passengers only find out they arent flying when they turn up at the airport.
    None of them cover any additional costs. They all , also try to force refunds rather than re routing via other carriers.
    I agree. All the more reason to want to know if there are insurers who do cover these risks at a reasonable cost.
    koru
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 September 2017 at 11:24AM
    Policy recommendations are often for a specific set of conditions and frequently do not cover cancellations etc. You need to be aware when in the booking process and investigate the higher rated ones from the insurer and any options. They need not necessarily be a lot more expensive, you just have to shop around!
    What one person had last often has now been changed!

Be aware; Follow the MSE advice for comparison sites, look at the levels of cover, options, cost and feedback/reviews and go with that which you are comfortable with! Do not over cover, if you are just going to Europe do not get cover for the USA or worldwide!
  • This is copied from an insurance policy document. Is this what I'm looking for, the bit that says 'which is beyond your control'. Or would this still not cover the refund of hotel/car hire if Ryanair cancelled because it says 'as a result of strike or industrial action'?

What is covered:
    We will pay you up to the amount shown in the Summary of Cover for travel and accommodation costs which you have paid (or have contracted to
    pay), that you cannot use because you are unable to travel or complete the trip.
    Either
    a) Cancellation cover applies if you have booked a trip to take place within the period of insurance, but you are forced to cancel your travel plans because of one of the following, which is beyond your control, and of which you were unaware at the time you booked the trip or purchased your insurance, whichever was later. Please see also the section Travel Delay cover.
    Or
    b) Curtailment cover applies if you are forced to cut short a trip you have commenced, and return to the home country, because of one of the following which is beyond your control, and of which you were unaware at the time you booked the trip or purchased your insurance, whichever was later:
    • Unforeseen illness, injury or death of you, a close relative or any person you have arranged to travel or stay with during the trip.
    • You abandoning your trip following the cancellation of or a delay of more than 24 hours in the departure of your prebooked outward international departure, as a result of strike or industrial action (of which you were unaware at the time you booked the trip), adverse weather conditions, or
    mechanical breakdown or accident of or involving the vehicle in which you will be travelling.
    • You being called up for Jury Service or being subpoenaed as a witness in a Court of Law (other than in a professional or advisory capacity).
    • You being made redundant and you qualify for redundancy payment under current legislation.
    • Accidental damage, burglary, ooding or re a ecting your home, occurring during the trip or within 48 hours before you depart, when the loss
    relating to your home is in excess of £1,500 and your presence is required by the police in connection with such events.
    • Your compulsory quarantine.
    • Cancellation or curtailment of any one or more parts of the travel arrangements for the booked trip arising from the insolvency of any pre-booked
    provider.

Also worth noting the excess on alot of these policies is more than I'd pay for a hotel for a few nights anyway. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure