Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koru
    • By koru 23rd Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 1,331Posts
    • 669Thanks
    koru
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cancellation: Which travel insurance policies would cover it?
    • 23rd Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cancellation: Which travel insurance policies would cover it? 23rd Sep 17 at 11:00 AM
    The recent RyanAir cancellations have highlighted that most travel insurance policies do not cover losses due to the airline cancelling a flight. So, you can't claim for, say, your lost accommodation costs, if you can't get another flight to use your hotel/apartment.

I was surprised to find this big hole in most cover. So, I thought it would be good to have a thread for people to post examples of policies that do cover losses that are incurred as a consequence of cancellation of flights.

Can we restrict this thread to discussion of travel insurance? There are other threads on other aspects of the RyanAir debacle.
    Last edited by koru; 23-09-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    koru
Page 1
    • koru
    • By koru 23rd Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    koru
    • 23rd Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 23rd Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    I had a look at Eurotunnel, a favourite for those with pre-existing medical conditions. I don't think they would cover consequential losses.

The basic rule looks promising: They cover "unused personal accommodation, transport charges and other travel expenses...if you cancel your journey before it begins because of reasons beyond your control".

However, they exclude cover for "Anything caused by:
    !!!8226; ...
    !!!8226; anything the company providing your transport or
    accommodation, their agents, any person acting for you
    or your conference organiser is responsible for;"

Perhaps this just means they won't pay for the lost flight, because the airline is responsible for doing this. Or does it mean that as the flight cancellation is the indirect cause of being unable to use the accommodation, the airline is "responsible"? I'm not sure.
    Last edited by koru; 23-09-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    koru
    • koru
    • By koru 23rd Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    koru
    • 23rd Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 23rd Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    Looks like LV's Premier policy would cover it:
    https://www.lv.com/atheart/features/flight-cancelled-how-to-claim-and-what-youre-covered-for

Unsurprisingly, their premiums are high.

Martin's three cheap recommendations don't seem to cover this: Holidaysafe Lite, Coverwise Bronze and Leisure Guard Lite.
    koru
    • richardw
    • By richardw 23rd Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    • 18,710 Posts
    • 7,826 Thanks
    richardw
    • 23rd Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    • 23rd Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    The insurers are highly likely to only include cover for cancellations due to extraordinary circumstances.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 23rd Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 3,928 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 23rd Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 23rd Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    Would be worth dropping a message to the forum team to ask if they could research this? I found myself in a similar situation with AF, who did pay for the night I missed, but only because I was a Platinum customer and because I made a pain of myself.
    • maman
    • By maman 23rd Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 18,218 Posts
    • 108,963 Thanks
    maman
    • 23rd Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    • 23rd Sep 17, 12:33 PM
    Would be worth dropping a message to the forum team to ask if they could research this? I found myself in a similar situation with AF, who did pay for the night I missed, but only because I was a Platinum customer and because I made a pain of myself.
    Originally posted by IAmWales

That's a good point.

I looked at the forum travel section yesterday and was surprised that there wasn't a feature on it.

I haven't checked my own insurance yet as I'm not travelling until November so still slightly hopeful.
    • ic
    • By ic 23rd Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 2,596 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    ic
    • 23rd Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 23rd Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    Nationwide have a note on their site:
    Cancellation of Ryanair flights

You might have heard that Ryanair are cancelling 2,024 flights over the next six weeks. We know this might affect some of our members, so wed like to let you know what you can do.

If your flight has been cancelled, the first thing youll need to do is contact Ryanair to see what your options are. Under EU regulations, Ryanair have to arrange another flight for you or offer you a refund. Wed recommend thinking carefully about whether or not to cancel your trip altogether, as other costs like hotels or car hire arent always covered by travel insurance policies, including ours, if you didnt book them through Ryanair.

We hope the cancellations dont cause you too much trouble, and if we can help with anything else, just let us know.

This communication is for general guidance only and does not constitute definitive advice (19 September 2017)
    I recently booked a short trip, flying with Ryanair. I chose to pay the hotel on arrival so that I get free cancellation, rather than upfront. Normally I don't like to pay upfront as its a gamble on the exchange rates - but given the increased likelihood I might need the option of cancellation, and the fact rates are historically low I figured it was worth the risk!
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 23rd Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 5,710 Posts
    • 3,667 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    • 23rd Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 23rd Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    Self insure.
    Its always been possible to book flexible/cancellable rates but prepaid/ no or limited refund rates are usually cheaper.
    BTW, I always go for the absolute cheapest one myself, so if affected by the recent situation I would have been in stook.
    I would have of course tried to force a rerouting via A N OTHER airline

Sidenote
    Flight cancellations is not unique to Ryanair.
    All airlines cancel routes due to poor sales etc ALL THE TIME.
    Additionally, most overbook so often passengers only find out they arent flying when they turn up at the airport.
    None of them cover any additional costs. They all , also try to force refunds rather than re routing via other carriers.
    Last edited by budgetflyer; 23-09-2017 at 9:06 PM.
    • koru
    • By koru 24th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    koru
    • 24th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    • 24th Sep 17, 2:47 PM
    Self insure.
    Its always been possible to book flexible/cancellable rates but prepaid/ no or limited refund rates are usually cheaper.
    Originally posted by budgetflyer
    I agree, if the only policies that cover these risks cost, say, 120 instead of 20, it might be better to pay extra for the right to cancel your accommodation, or just keep the 100 difference and accept that you are running the risk of losing a holiday you had already paid for. But if there are policies that cover this risk and only cost a few pounds more, it might make sense to pay a little bit extra so you know that if an airline does cancel on you you get the money back and can book another holiday.

Sidenote
    Flight cancellations is not unique to Ryanair.
    All airlines cancel routes due to poor sales etc ALL THE TIME.
    Additionally, most overbook so often passengers only find out they arent flying when they turn up at the airport.
    None of them cover any additional costs. They all , also try to force refunds rather than re routing via other carriers.
    Originally posted by budgetflyer
    I agree. All the more reason to want to know if there are insurers who do cover these risks at a reasonable cost.
    koru
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 25th Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Policy recommendations are often for a specific set of conditions and frequently do not cover cancellations etc. You need to be aware when in the booking process and investigate the higher rated ones from the insurer and any options. They need not necessarily be a lot more expensive, you just have to shop around!
    What one person had last often has now been changed!

Be aware; Follow the MSE advice for comparison sites, look at the levels of cover, options, cost and feedback/reviews and go with that which you are comfortable with! Do not over cover, if you are just going to Europe do not get cover for the USA or worldwide!
    Last edited by Heedtheadvice; 25-09-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    • danandjens worldtravels
    • By danandjens worldtravels 28th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    danandjens worldtravels
    This is copied from an insurance policy document. Is this what I'm looking for, the bit that says 'which is beyond your control'. Or would this still not cover the refund of hotel/car hire if Ryanair cancelled because it says 'as a result of strike or industrial action'?

What is covered:
    We will pay you up to the amount shown in the Summary of Cover for travel and accommodation costs which you have paid (or have contracted to
    pay), that you cannot use because you are unable to travel or complete the trip.
    Either
    a) Cancellation cover applies if you have booked a trip to take place within the period of insurance, but you are forced to cancel your travel plans because of one of the following, which is beyond your control, and of which you were unaware at the time you booked the trip or purchased your insurance, whichever was later. Please see also the section Travel Delay cover.
    Or
    b) Curtailment cover applies if you are forced to cut short a trip you have commenced, and return to the home country, because of one of the following which is beyond your control, and of which you were unaware at the time you booked the trip or purchased your insurance, whichever was later:
    Unforeseen illness, injury or death of you, a close relative or any person you have arranged to travel or stay with during the trip.
    You abandoning your trip following the cancellation of or a delay of more than 24 hours in the departure of your prebooked outward international departure, as a result of strike or industrial action (of which you were unaware at the time you booked the trip), adverse weather conditions, or
    mechanical breakdown or accident of or involving the vehicle in which you will be travelling.
    You being called up for Jury Service or being subpoenaed as a witness in a Court of Law (other than in a professional or advisory capacity).
    You being made redundant and you qualify for redundancy payment under current legislation.
    Accidental damage, burglary, ooding or re a ecting your home, occurring during the trip or within 48 hours before you depart, when the loss
    relating to your home is in excess of 1,500 and your presence is required by the police in connection with such events.
    Your compulsory quarantine.
    Cancellation or curtailment of any one or more parts of the travel arrangements for the booked trip arising from the insolvency of any pre-booked
    provider.

Also worth noting the excess on alot of these policies is more than I'd pay for a hotel for a few nights anyway.
    • koru
    • By koru 28th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    koru
    This is copied from an insurance policy document. Is this what I'm looking for, the bit that says 'which is beyond your control'. Or would this still not cover the refund of hotel/car hire if Ryanair cancelled because it says 'as a result of strike or industrial action'?
    Originally posted by danandjens worldtravels
    It needs to say "any reason beyond your control" (and if it then adds exclusions, you need to check they don't apply). Or if it only covers certain reasons (as is the case with the policy you quote), it needs to include reasons that match your circumstances. Your policy does not seem to cover the Ryanair situation.

Two of the bullet points relate to cancellation of a flight, but only where the flight cancellation is the result of "strike or industrial action (of which you were unaware at the time you booked the trip), adverse weather conditions, or mechanical breakdown or accident of or involving the vehicle in which you will be travelling" or "arising from the insolvency of any pre-booked provider." Ryanair have cancelled because they messed up their staff rostering, which is none of those things.
    koru
    • koru
    • By koru 28th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    koru
    The LV Premier policy has a specific separate section covering lost accommodation (and other trip expenses) as a result of delay or cancellation of flights.
    koru
    • bhaisab
    • By bhaisab 10th Aug 18, 9:28 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    bhaisab
    Apologies for bumping an old post

But Ryanair have been canceling more flights recently.

Does the forum recommend a company/policy that covers the cost of additional expenses
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Aug 18, 11:09 AM
    • 18,710 Posts
    • 7,826 Thanks
    richardw
    Abta spokesperson said on Sky news passengers are entitled to compensation because it's Ryanair's own strike.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 10th Aug 18, 1:22 PM
    • 7,685 Posts
    • 4,388 Thanks
    martindow
    Even if an insurer did cover strike action I'm sure they would exclude strikes that are ongoing or already announced. Taking out expensive insurance would be very unlikely to cover future Ryanair strikes.
    • pickup01
    • By pickup01 13th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pickup01
    Hi - I'm due to fly with Ryanair on 19th Aug. I checked with my insurer (Staysure) and they told me that my policy with them would cover my hotel costs (not booked thru Ryanair) if Ryanair cancels my flight and I cannot travel due to this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

4,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin