Plaster(near window) came off while scrapping the paint

Options
Rock_007
Rock_007 Posts: 66 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
During scrapping the paint of the wall, some plaster came off near the windows can see clear wire net so i think in the past there was attempted to repair this plaster.
Can some one please recommend any specific plaster or Mortar Mix that i should use to repair this portion of Plaster and if any special tools are needed to do it( as the portion of the wall is up side down)
Any comment highly appreciated.

[IMG][/img]30de42e.jpg

[IMG][/img]mj3d5i.jpg

Comments

• flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can buy ' one coat plaster' but will need to do in stages - max on the one I used was 15mm or so for each layer, plus it's harder to get a smooth finish that doesn't need sanding. The 'normal' way would be a coat of bonding plaster, followed by a thin layer of skim, but usually only available in big bags
    A normal plasterer's float should do the job tool-wise
  • Rock_007
    edited 17 September 2017 at 10:18PM
    Options
    flashg67 wrote: »
    You can buy ' one coat plaster' but will need to do in stages - max on the one I used was 15mm or so for each layer, plus it's harder to get a smooth finish that doesn't need sanding. The 'normal' way would be a coat of bonding plaster, followed by a thin layer of skim, but usually only available in big bags
    A normal plasterer's float should do the job tool-wise

Thanks, but do you think bonding plaster will hold itself as the surface is upside down?

Also i am not very familiar with the plaster, what i got form the above post is that i will need two types of plater 1) one coat plaster 2) bonding plaster if i am not wrong.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 September 2017 at 12:29AM
    Options
    Rock_007 wrote: »
    Thanks, but do you think bonding plaster will hold itself as the surface is upside down?

Also i am not very familiar with the plaster, what i got form the above post is that i will need two types of plater 1) one coat plaster 2) bonding plaster if i am not wrong.

Bonding plaster will stick to the overhead bit - Just don't apply it too thick or too wet & sloppy. I'd also hack out that last bit that has cracked and apply a PVA/water mix first (it will help adhere to the cement underneath).

Buying 25Kg bags of bonding & finishing plaster is going to be very wasteful for such a small job. The stuff doesn't keep, so you'd end up having to dispose of most of it. If you know someone in the building trade, they might be able to get you a part bag of each (5Kg would probably be more than enough).

As for plasters, there is a whole long list. Some below -

Bonding plaster (used as a base coat up to 11mm thick)
    Finishing plaster (the final skim coat, usually around 3mm thick)
    Magnetic plaster - You won't want this. An expensive substitute for a magnetic board.
    One coat plaster - Often sold to the DIYer and can be a pig to work with.
    Self leveling plaster - As above, and debatable as to whether it does "self level".

Lime plasters - Unless you are working on a period property, you don't want to know ;)
    Venetian plaster & tadelakt - Lime based, labour intensive, and very expensive (but worth it in the right setting).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Rock_007
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    Bonding plaster will stick to the overhead bit - Just don't apply it too thick or too wet & sloppy. I'd also hack out that last bit that has cracked and apply a PVA/water mix first (it will help adhere to the cement underneath).

Buying 25Kg bags of bonding & finishing plaster is going to be very wasteful for such a small job. The stuff doesn't keep, so you'd end up having to dispose of most of it. If you know someone in the building trade, they might be able to get you a part bag of each (5Kg would probably be more than enough).

As for plasters, there is a whole long list. Some below -

Bonding plaster (used as a base coat up to 11mm thick)
    Finishing plaster (the final skim coat, usually around 3mm thick)
    Magnetic plaster - You won't want this. An expensive substitute for a magnetic board.
    One coat plaster - Often sold to the DIYer and can be a pig to work with.
    Self leveling plaster - As above, and debatable as to whether it does "self level".

Lime plasters - Unless you are working on a period property, you don't want to know ;)
    Venetian plaster & tadelakt - Lime based, labour intensive, and very expensive (but worth it in the right setting).

Thanks for your advise,
    The depth i need to cover is more than 11mm i think, so may need to do couple of times and is it okay to give couple of hours to let it settle down before applying another layer of 11mm bounding plaster.
    Also for PVA i have read somewhere the ratio between PVA/water should be 3:1 if that is correct?

i have found one at B&Q should this be alright to use it for my purpose ( i will buy 25Kg as there are other couple of similar patches in the house that needs to be done)
    1) (THISTLE BONDING COAT UNDERCOAT PLASTER 25KG)
    2) CEMENTONE PVA5L
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    if in doubt, just get a plasterer in, shouldn't be expensive. Plastering is an art, and if done badly can look terrible.
  • Rock_007
    Options
    anto164 wrote: »
    if in doubt, just get a plasterer in, shouldn't be expensive. Plastering is an art, and if done badly can look terrible.

I would but they are fully booked for months and i am looking to move house within a month.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I use this stuff from Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-ready-mixed-plaster-white-10kg/23226

Cant rate it highly enough. It needs to be layered on over a few days, but when built up its easy to sand to a smooth finish for an invisible repair.

Just don't be tempted to make the layers to thick.
  • minibbb
    minibbb Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    Look at toupret interior filler (the powdered one) specs state is has no max depth.

I used it for a similar depth hole around a socket and it was perfect. I would fill yours in three sessions. It sands v easily and I achieved a perfect finish- you would never know it had been repaired now.
  • Rock_007
    Options
    i opted for re plastering all the rooms....

My plaster put the pva and then put the coating of plaster but just a day after he replastered the walls i can see some sort of cracks in it . is any one has any idea what are these cracks and if we can do something about it ....
    Any comments really appreciated

ekq8g8.jpg
    ibz4tc.jpg
    257hhyg.jpg
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    You need to get the plasterer back.

A few hairline cracks in new plaster is normal. What you’ve got there looks to me like the plaster has dried out far too quickly, possibly due to poor preparation. What was under the skim before in that spot?

I think it might have to be reskimmed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport