Holiday visa charges - shocked

I've returned from a family holiday to Singapore to an mbna credit card bill that includes nearly £100 in non-sterling transaction fees.
I've had this card for close to ten years, pay off in full each month and would describe myself as a heavy user of this card, buying goods over £100 on it for section 75 cover.
I'm going to speak to mbna as this is the first occasion I've been charged these fees. European holidays have not triggered these fees last year.
I'm considering changing to the Halifax Clarity's card expecting mbna to not waive my fees.
I do not recall being informed of these fees but did receive a message informing that it wasn't necessary to advise of any upcoming overseas trips. Consequently I did not speak to MBNA
Any thoughts welcomed.
Many thanks.

Comments

• Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Standard practise. You won't get any refund from MBNA - it's in the terms and conditions.
    Change to the clarity card which is fantastic.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry, that's normal with most credit cards in the UK. MSE has a useful guide on which credit cards to use abroad. Worth a look.

Have you checked the terms and conditions of your card?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You should have done your research before going. A quick google of 'mbna non sterling transactions' give this https://www.mbna.co.uk/managing-your-account/when-travelling-abroad

There is a libk to the fees there.
  • Yep fair cop guilty of not researching so will def be looking to switch cards.
    Thanks for your help all ��
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    In the past credit card companies hid these charges in the exchange rate, so you never saw them. But they've always been there, unless you use one of the few fee-free cards.

It's about time bureaux de change places were forced to do the same, they still hide massive charges in the exchange rate.
  • zagfles wrote: »
    In the past credit card companies hid these charges in the exchange rate
    That was my first thought, but a quick google seems to suggest they've been shown separately on credit card statements for a few years now. OP says they weren't charged (or, more accurately, didn't see them on their statement) last year...unless they're mistaken?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    That was my first thought, but a quick google seems to suggest they've been shown separately on credit card statements for a few years now. OP says they weren't charged (or, more accurately, didn't see them on their statement) last year...unless they're mistaken?
    Or they were DCC'ed. Even worse!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    With most cards there's a non-sterling fee, plus a margin added to the MasterCard or Visa exchange rate of up to 3%. ATM use can involve an additional fee.

If you choose to pay in pounds these don't apply of course, but the awful exchange rate imposed by the merchant or ATM will usually cost you more.

It's easy to escape all such costs by using a suitable fee-free card and paying in local currency.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Dalglish
    Dalglish Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So just to close this thread ... I was charged in 2016 the total sum of 56p and clearly didn’t notice this. I escalated today to speak to an mbna manager fully accepting I was at fault but as a 16 year customer could they waive the fees on this occasion?
    Response was to Meet halfway and cut the fee in half to £35 so well worth the phone call.
    Have now got a fee free card. Thanks for all your help!
  • Can’t remember a time FX fees weren’t about tbh. Sore one if you aren’t expecting them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure