Pure Internet Radio. Pure are idiots!

Options
I've had a Pure internet radio for a few years. Adding and removing internet radio stations was done via an online account. From July this year this has been withdrawn. Now the only way to add stations is via an app on an android device. I haven't got an android device! I've tried using a friends and am forced into an unending farce involving google accounts unrecognised passwords and apps that won't download. Its a complete waste of my time.

Why do Pure ignorantly assume everyone will be able or want to to use apps? This has made their products much less user friendly and I expect shut out a sizeable proportion of their potential customers. This is a stupid decision by them and has put me off buying further Pure products.

http://support-uk.pure.com/en/kb/articles/important-update-from-12th-june-pure-connect-will-only-be-accessible-via-android-and-ios-apps

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They probably monitor the usage of the site and apps and probably see that the majority of people use the apps to manage the devices.

Thinking about it I don't actually know one person who had an internet connection but doesn't have any kind of Android or iOS device. Even older people who don't have a smartphone are seeing the benefits of having a tablet PC (usually with iOS or Android on it) to use for casual web browsing.

Across the population PC's are loosing popularity because alot of people don't need or want to have the extra features that they offer over a tablet.

You could get an Android emulator for a PC but I don't know of any good free ones so I doubt it's worth paying just for one app.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Roughly 70% of the population have a smartphone. On top of that you'll have people with tablets. I guess they have deemed the small group that have neither as outside their target market, which is more cost effective than idiotic.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you've had the radio for several years then surely it will already have most of the stations that you want on it, and it would only be a rare occurence that you'd want to add or delete one.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2017 at 7:51PM
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    If you've had the radio for several years then surely it will already have most of the stations that you want on it, and it would only be a rare occurence that you'd want to add or delete one.
    30,000+ stations available, regularly changing, plus podcasts which need adding daily or weekly. Thats the point of an internet radio, massive choice, which I've now been shut out of.

The online site was never perfect and had problems in use. Apparently the app can also be very problematic. The radio itself is electronically good but its always felt like the oddly named "The Lounge" which is needed to manage internet stations and podcasts always felt like it was poorly thought out and designed by technology fans rather than radio users. I suspect the decision to dismiss a proportion of their customers was made by the same people.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    Reading the blurb, it is clear that they have changed ownership. I think the issue at hand is the least of your concerns at this moment in time, as they may either:

1. Completely revamp the service and cause more issues

2. Introduce new desktop or mobile features in line with what you need from them.

Bit harsh calling them "pure idiots" though when they've probably just walked away with a few bob ;)
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2017 at 8:11AM
    Options

Bit harsh calling them "pure idiots" though when they've probably just walked away with a few bob ;)
    I don't care if the previous owners made a profit.

When I try to log in my password needs resetting. I go through the process of password resetting but whatever password I try is "not acceptable", no reason or explanation given. After wasting time trying endlessly I contacted them about this to be told the service is not available. I suggested they put something on the log in screen to explain this to their customers which they agreed to do. They still haven't done it. This is why I think they're idiots. They've pulled the plug on this and walked away leaving customers to hunt for the reason. Thats not how a reputable company should act. Thats just poor and blinkered management.

Having a major part of the functionality of one of their products removed like this and their obvious indifference has put me off buying further products from them.
    Most people wouldn't buy products that are physically unreliable. This is, in effect, the same.
  • barbarawright
    Options
    i've actually never come across anyone who listens to podcasts on the radio. I assumed most people used their phone or a tablet. You could get a tablet for £50 or so which would do everything your radio does and a lot more
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    I don't care if the previous owners made a profit.

Well fair enough!

But people are allowed to sell a business, and the new owners are allowed to modify the services. Doesn't make anyone "pure idiots" I'm afraid :(
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    i've actually never come across anyone who listens to podcasts on the radio. I assumed most people used their phone or a tablet. You could get a tablet for £50 or so which would do everything your radio does and a lot more

I always listen to an American radio station on a similar platform. This is done on the pc, so I appreciate OP's situation. That's just life though :(

Plus, I also have it on my android phone and occasionally listen to it on there (but it really doesn't like 4G and jumps excessively!).
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    I could find alternate ways of listening but I would prefer to use the item I own for the task it was designed and sold for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure