PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Compton Group - Insurance

Hi

I forgot to send in my insurance documents to Compton Group back in May.

I have since sent them after a reminder, but they are now asking for £60 as an admin fee - for an email and a letter(!)

Is there any way out of this? I have offered £20 for them to go away basically

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Hi

I forgot to send in my insurance documents to Compton Group back in May.

I have since sent them after a reminder, but they are now asking for £60 as an admin fee - for an email and a letter(!)

Is there any way out of this? I have offered £20 for them to go away basically
    How on earth do you expect people to read the terms and conditions from their locations?

Perhaps you could quote what the clause is?

I mean ultimately if you don't pay it, then they wont pay out on any claim and will cancel the policy. Which then means you have a cancelled insurance marker and you will not get insured again or at a much higher rate.
  • Sorry, this is Section 164 of the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002 - they basically want me to go through their approved insurance company.

That original post wasnt clear at all to be fair!
  • Guest101
    Sorry, this is Section 164 of the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002 - they basically want me to go through their approved insurance company.

That original post wasnt clear at all to be fair!
    Again, it's not. That is the legislation, but they are charging you according to a clause in your contract.
  • They have already stated in an email that the contract does not include an amount payable for not insuring through them, but then went on to say £60 is non negotiable
  • Guest101
    They have already stated in an email that the contract does not include an amount payable for not insuring through them, but then went on to say £60 is non negotiable
    This is starting to be like pulling teeth.

Does your lease say anything about admin fees for late documents / reminders?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They have already stated in an email that the contract does not include an amount payable for not insuring through them, but then went on to say £60 is non negotiable

I just got my mortgage offer yesterday and spent a painful evening reading through all the paperwork. We have to pay a £10 fee if we choose to arrange insurance ourselves rather than through the building society's agency, but if we choose to do so then we're required to send evidence of our insurance through to the building society. There was a very clear admin charge applicable if we fail to send them the documents (can't remember exactly what now, but £60 sounds about right). I'd imagine that your T&Cs had something similar, so you've already agreed to it.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,436 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'll have a go at guessing what you're asking...
    You're the leaseholder of a property and Compton Group is the freeholder.

There is a covenant in your lease which requires you to insure your property. Compton Group asked you to provide evidence that you have insurance.

You didn't provide the evidence, so your freeholder sent you a reminder letter and email - and they are charging you an admin fee of £60 for these reminders.

(Section 164 of the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002 makes it clear that you must provide insurance details to your freeholder.)

Assuming the above is correct...
    The law says that admin charges made by freeholders must be 'reasonable' - i.e. They must reflect the amount of work the freeholder had to do.

As an indicator, the Upper Tribunal Lands Chamber ruled in 2012 that £40 was a reasonable fee for a freeholder to charge for issuing a 'consent to let'.
    ( See: http://landschamber.decisions.tribunals.gov.uk//Aspx/view.aspx?id=823 and download the the document).

I guess sending you a reminder letter and email is a similar amount of work to issuing a 'consent to let' letter. So maybe £40 is reasonable.

If your freeholder doesn't accept your reduced offer, the standard advice is to pay the full amount - making it clear that it is under protest - then go to the tribunal to challenge it.

It's up to you whether you think it's worth it for this kind of amount.
  • Hi

That is indeed correct, many thanks for taking the time to decipher and rewrite!

I will email them a link to that summary. Im more annoyed with myself to be honest, but at the same feel like they are making up the charges as they go long
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure