Vanguard Investment Fund

Options
Hi - I've after some advice about which Vanguard Investment fund to choose.

I've setup a £300 a month regular contribution to my S&S ISA with Hargreaves Lansdown.

My high-level criteria:
invest for over 10 years
global exposure
multi-asset
on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being high risk) I'm a 6.

Thanks,

Comments

• BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    You could go direct with Vanguard Investor and save 0.3% each year on platform fees.

That aside, I would go with the Lifestrategy 60 (acc).
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've after some advice about which Vanguard Investment fund to choose.

Based on what you have written, it would be any of the 5 multi-asset funds they offer.

If you are limiting yourself to just Vanguard, then why are you using HL?
    on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being high risk) I'm a 6.

What context is that scale? Does 1 = cash. Does 10 mean the highest risk UT/OEIC options or the highest risk options from outside UT/OEICs? are the risk levels evenly spread or have different weightings (some have tighter lower risk volatility spreads but larger higher risk ones).

In other words, context is needed. How much loss can you stomach or afford in a 12 month period?

BLB53 has mentioned VLS60 but on our 1-10 scale, 6 would be VLS80. So this is why that context is important.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 September 2017 at 9:06PM
    Options
    I agree if you are only buying Vanguard then move your ISA to Vanguard. Not only are the fees cheaper but they allow you to invest all your money with no need to keep a cash balance to pay fees.

I find keeping track of tiny cash balances under threat of penalty fees irritating and only put up with it in my Halifax SIPP because the fixed fee is such good value on large balances. I have a DD setup for exactly the right amount each month.

Vanguard has the right idea - fees should be automatic as humans have invented computers.

My guess on your limited information is that you are somewhere around VLS60 as bonds are carrying a lot more risk these days I wouldn't sleep at night for fear if I was in 'safe' VLS20.

Personally I am 50:50 between VLS60 and VLS80 in my ISA and that's because I had no problems holding my nerve during the 2008 financial crisis (I even invested lump sums when the market was cheap to reduce my average unit cost) and still have a lot more accumulation time ahead.

If the markets dropped by 15% then I would swap the VLS60 for more VLS80 which would be like pushing the Turbo button on an old 486 but better as most of them didn't have a motherboard that supported the feature!

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport