Help with logbook loan please

Hello,
Basically my idiot brother has taken out a logbook loan against our fathers vehicle because he and my father have the same name. He has taken the loan out and has not kept up with the repayments. Can the logbook loan company still reposes the vehicle as the vehicle is not owned by my brother but by my dad.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Are they at the same address? If not, what address did idiot brother use?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Yeah same address
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is your father prepared to report your brother to the police?
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    It depends on a crucial factor before deciding the next step.

What Date of Birth was used?

If the person used theirs, any action to recover the vehicle will be stopped by the proof of ownership being registered to the father. The guy will then basically be subject to the lender shopping him to the police for fraud, but will protect the vehicle.

If the person used your dads date of birth? Well, in that case, from the lenders point of view, the car is legally under their ownership until the loan is paid. To stop any action being taken, your dad must file a fraud complaint to Action Fraud and the police.

Same resolution really. Your brother will be in the proverbial for fraud and the vehicle will be safe.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Problem is that my dad will not report him to the police im not sure what date of birth was used but he is currently on 2 year suspended sentence for theft my dad will not report him
  • Mart1991 wrote: »
    Problem is that my dad will not report him to the police im not sure what date of birth was used but he is currently on 2 year suspended sentence for theft my dad will not report him

Then he could lose his car.

He can't have it both ways.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Your brother sounds like a top bloke
  • U dont know the half of it trust me hes a waste of life. If they come to reposess the car ill phone them and tell them it was done through fraud he needs to learn and stop relying on my dad to pay off all his debts and loans he already owes my dad £45,000 hes nearly 30 and acts like a 5 year old but my parents dont help when they constantly bail him out
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Report it to the police or payup or lose the car appears to be the options.

I cannot see the loan company accepting anything else.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Mart1991 wrote: »
    U dont know the half of it trust me hes a waste of life. If they come to reposess the car ill phone them and tell them it was done through fraud he needs to learn and stop relying on my dad to pay off all his debts and loans he already owes my dad £45,000 hes nearly 30 and acts like a 5 year old but my parents dont help when they constantly bail him out

If they come to repossess your dad's car then surely it's your dad's decision to either report it as fraud or lose his car to keep his son out of prison.*

* Assuming committing fraud would jeopardise his suspended sentence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure