Car insurance cancelled?

Options
So, I have 3 points on my licence. Unfortunately got another 3. My insurance company now say I can't have the same policy. They have offered me another one which is 250% increase £££.

I have looked elsewhere but my question is....

The section that says 'have you previously had a policy declined or cancelled...?' I have to answer yes right? I tried clicking on the 'I need help' button. It basically asks the same question again. Yeah thanks for that. That's helpful. You know what would be helpful? Clarification. Did they cancel 'cause I committed fraud? No. Did they cancel because I didn't pay? No. I mean... really?

I guess I know the answer. I'm in denial. I'll teach the acceptance stage soon. Just need time.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

:(

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are they outright terminating/cancelling your policy ?

It doesn't sound it to me, sounds like they have increased the price.

Can you afford the extra ?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Are you insured through a broker rather than direct?

Who is the insurer?
  • Flangelina79
    Options
    The extra is about £600 can't afford it. Can't afford an extra £200 to be fair. My own stupid fault.

I don't know. Its all so confusing, never had this happen before. They just said they could no longer cover me on that policy (Hastings essentials) and that if they could find another broker who would cover me but I refused to go with them, I would have to pay the cancellation fee. But if I went with their suggestion then the fee might be waived.
  • Flangelina79
    Options
    I think it is direct? I found the quote via a comparison site, but I'm insured with Hastings essential which I guess is a no frills hasting direct.
  • Flangelina79
    Options
    Also, when I rang to inform them about my points, the guy asked me why I hadn't mentioned the points when I started the policy. I reviewed noticifcation of my speeding 14 days after the date I was caught, then I had time to decide whether to go for a speed awareness course/concede or challenge in court. Il at this point I still didn't know how much the fine would be etc. I literally have just had my licence back from the police.

Is this why they have cancelled my policy? Do they think I was being fraudulent? I mean...cripes. If I could have took a speed awareness course, then I wouldn't have had to mention it at all! Surely I don't need to declare something until it's concrete/official?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    its better to cancel the insurance on your terms, that way you don't need to declare a cancelled insurance.

You have another 3 points, learn from it and I'm afraid if you can't afford to drive, it is a direct consequences of your actions and as anyone with points on their license, higher risk and hence more premiums.

You may need to try an insurance broker to find 'cheaper' insurance, but I wouldn't hold my breath now with 6 points

is there a need to drive? No shame in taking the bus, I didn't drive for 3 years after passing.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport