Booking 'package' with car but not taking car

Hi,
Does anyone know what would happen if I booked return flights with a car (BA going to Malta) and either did not take the car or wanted to take the car back a day early?
Basically our flights are early the day we leave and we want to celebrate an occasion on our last night so don't want to have to drive the car back to the airport early in the morning, we'd rather get a taxi.

Before anyone asks its cheaper to book the package with the car.....that's why we're considering it!

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What does the Avis small print say?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • We booked a BA holidays package earlier this year to Malta (with a car for the very reason you state) but never took the car at all. Nothing happened to us! Thankfully, having seen the state of Malta and traffic, I'm very glad we didn't take a car (what a nightmare).

You should check your T&C about taking it back early, but I would thoroughly recommend not taking it at all.

Enjoy Malta.
  • Thanks theonlywayisup - that's helpful - we don't necessarily need a car at all just wondered if it would be helpful - however looks like we can use public transport and also happy to pay for odd taxis - so may do what you did and not take it!
  • Don't take it if you want to keep your sanity. I don't know when you are traveling - we went in May - and it was MANIC!

Taxi's are cheap and easy - walking is good deepening on where you want to go - buses are busy but very simple to navigate.

Where are you staying - what area.
  • Going wintertime. Staying near St Juliens (in the Hilton) but want to travel to Valletta and other places....any tips?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2017 at 8:35PM
    Going wintertime. Staying near St Juliens (in the Hilton) but want to travel to Valletta and other places....any tips?

Exactly where we stayed. Also stayed at the Radison around the bay (15 min walk).

There are bus stops not a stone's throw from you.

My OH says you might want to take the car if you are there a while - but otherwise it is CHAOS! I agree that it's chaos but I wouldn't hire the car (and we didn't!).

You can take a bus to Valletta which will keep you occupied if you love the fort it will keep you there for a long time. For a small amount (from memory 2€ you get on the bus and can ride for 2 hours - enough to take you most places). https://www.publictransport.com.mt

We travelled to Valletta and Mdina and hopped on and off on those routes, it was very easy and incredibly enjoyable - I am not a public transport fan in any country but it was a great way to travel in Malta. Taxis were cheap *but frantic in their driving.
  • Loads of buses from St Juliens to Sliema and Valletta.

As others have said don't even think about hiring a car.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    My husband frequently works in Malta so needs a car to get around. When I accompany him, I am always terrified when he's driving! He drives like a Maltese. Plus parking is a nightmare.
  • thanks everyone - we're all booked. We won't be taking the car, but are looking forward to the trip
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    thanks everyone - we're all booked. We won't be taking the car, but are looking forward to the trip

Good idea. Malta is a great place but the driving is nuts and parking almost non-existent. I'm sure that half the people are just driving around for hours looking for somewhere to park.

You can buy an unlimited one-week bus pass at the airport for €21. The routes can be confusing but they do go everywhere.

The airport to St Julians public bus is usually packed so it may be easier to get a taxi to your hotel or book a transfer bus. I've used these guys and they were very reliable: http://www.maltatransfer.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure