Sale of House owned by two people who don't get along

What happens when two people who don't get along, inherit a house and then sell it? Who gets the money? Is it held by the solicitor and then divided equally (or whatever is stipulated in the will), with funds going into respective banks? Or does it go into a joint account?

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    The executor(s) or administrator are responsible for selling the property and releasing the funds to the individuals
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The executor(s) or administrator are responsible for selling the property and releasing the funds to the individuals

Not if they inherit the house. It's then their house.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Margot123 wrote: »
    What happens when two people who don't get along, inherit a house and then sell it?

Who gets the money?

Is it held by the solicitor and then divided equally (or whatever is stipulated in the will), with funds going into respective banks? Or does it go into a joint account?

Do you mean that they have inherited the house, changed the ownership to their names and now want to sell the house? If they don't get on, the solicitor could deal with the money and send each person their share.

If the inheritance is recent and the estate is still being dealt with, the executors could sell the property and share the money between the two beneficiaries.

No need for a joint account.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Do you mean that they have inherited the house, changed the ownership to their names and now want to sell the house? If they don't get on, the solicitor could deal with the money and send each person their share.

If the inheritance is recent and the estate is still being dealt with, the executors could sell the property and share the money between the two beneficiaries.

Of course they could arrange that, but they would be responsible for fees etc arising. The estate/executor would not be in a position to pay for the sale. Assuming that what they have inherited is actually "The house" rather than a share of the residual from selling it.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Of course they could arrange that, but they would be responsible for fees etc arising. The estate/executor would not be in a position to pay for the sale. Assuming that what they have inherited is actually "The house" rather than a share of the residual from selling it.

All fees and charges would normally be paid first before the money is distributed to the beneficiaries.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    So, in these circumstances, the solicitor can divide the sum equally between the beneficiaries? Meaning no risk of the other 'running away' with all the money?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    So, in these circumstances, the solicitor can divide the sum equally between the beneficiaries? Meaning no risk of the other 'running away' with all the money?

Can you elaboarate on what has happened, or is this just hypothetical?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    If whoever is instructing the solicitor instructs them to divide the money equally and pay it into separate accounts, then that is what the solicitor will / should do.

If only one of them is able to instruct the solicitor, then the risks of 'running away' increase.

If you tell us the actual situation, we'd be better placed to advise.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What happens when two people who don't get along, inherit a house and then sell it? Who gets the money? Is it held by the solicitor and then divided equally (or whatever is stipulated in the will), with funds going into respective banks? Or does it go into a joint account?

If you mean that the will is all settled and now the two people own the house jointly and want to sell then it's like any house sale. It would be like a couple selling up because they'd split up and when house is sold minus estate agent fees etc then what's left would be given to each of you separately.

If you've just heard from a solicitor/Executor that you've jointly inherited a house then you could ask them to dispose of it for you. The money raised (minus fees) comes to you in the same way. I think a solicitor would do this for you (while clocking up fees) but it would be a big ask of an Executor who'd just taken on the role voluntarily/as a favour to the deceased.

Potential problems could arise if one (or both) of the 'people who don't get on' is the Executor.

However, as others have said: Is this all hypothetical or have you any actual facts?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you look at the OPs other threads, it does not appear to be hypothetical.

OP, you might find it more useful if you keep all the questions together in one thread. With random bits of information dotted round the site the advice you get may not be relevant otherwise.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure