WELL DONE Ebay - Your eBay account has been restricted

Uglymug
Uglymug Posts: 165 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Just a Rant about Ebay's policy.
I've been banned from Ebay for 7 days, for in Ebays opinion, attempting to buy or sell outside of eBay.
I was selling an item at buy it now for £3.99 with £2.90 postage or free local pick-up.
I received a message about local pick up with the most obvious question asking where I was. Unfortunately I replied with my address. I also stated "If still interested Please purchase through Ebay as cash offers at the door will NOT be accepted". This was not good enough for Ebay and has resulted in them deciding I was attempting to defraud them of their 40p commission.
I have 100% feedback and always try to be as helpful as possible to any enquires re anything I'm selling, for this Ebay have penalised me, I had no intention of defrauding them.
Apparently your not supposed to tell anyone where you are if they enquire about local pick up.
If I had sold this item it would have cost £2.90 to post, Ebay fees of 69p, paypal fees of 28p leaving me with about £3.00 profit.
It's just not worth the stress and hassle, next time I'll just bin the item.
End of Rant.

Comments

• Yep, it's a silly policy and there doesn't seem to be any common sense with it.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You are not the first and you will certainly not be the last to,fall foul of this draconian interpretation of selling outside eBay. I got a warning, no restriction or ban though on Jan 1st as someone sent me a message basically saying if they bought something could they collect it the same day. I just said yes that was fine, i would take the immediate payment required off so they could buy and then I'd send my full address- and at that point just gave part of my address, just enough so buyer knew how far they would have to travel.

If you look at the community boards people are being restricted and suspended on a daily basis , some on some very tenuous grounds, apparently even sending your address details after auction ends is enough to get a warning on eBay. If people don't believe me, go read some of the community board posts yourself. It seems that eBay don't even read the messages, nor make sure the sale has already occurred, and just react when any address appears to be exchanged.

The absolute worst thing though is that some sellers have been restricted when buyers have emailed them via eBay to make a deal , even though we as sellers can't stop buyers sending messages. On one of the other forums I read there is even a discussion about whether not sellers should block all buyers from messaging, just in case.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Uglymug
    Uglymug Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It seems to avoid any future problems I must NOT offer local pickup.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure