Lost mail claim form

Options
I sent a valuable package signed for and it has been lost.

I'm filling in the forms now, it says I have to provide proof of value, this is hard for me.

I sold two rare silver medallions and it wasn't through eBay or anything, but he did pay through PayPal.
Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AG47 wrote: »
    I sent a valuable package signed for and it has been lost.

I'm filling in the forms now, it says I have to provide proof of value, this is hard for me.

I sold two rare silver medallions and it wasn't through eBay or anything, but he did pay through PayPal.

If you are a private seller then you can try just sending a copy of the sales page or email stating agreed sale value- it might work.

You might also just want to check that silver is covered with signed for, as it always used to be the case that for precious metals, cash, gems etc it needed to go special delivery.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As Soolin says, you MIGHT find you aren't covered because the medallions are classed as 'jewellery', although it's a bit hard to tell from RM's definition:

'Our definition of jewellery includes:any precious metal that has been manufactured in such a way as to add value to the raw material, including coins used for ornament;
    diamonds and precious stones
    watches - the cases of which are made wholly or mainly of precious metal
    similar articles with an intrinsic value other than the value of the workmanship.'

As to proving value, they may ask you how you arrived at a sale value, so if you have any sort of audit trail (e.g. checking on ebay for similar items), it's worth including that info/screenshots to bolster your case.
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, so not sure if silver medallions are covered?

I may call them numismatic badges, I wonder if that would be more likely to be successful
  • AG47
    AG47 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    It's hard providing proof of value,Mehta else can I do?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    AG47 wrote: »
    It's hard providing proof of value,Mehta else can I do?

If your buyer paid by Paypal then that will be sufficient.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/319
    (iv) Evidence of value includes but is not limited to original receipts, invoices, Paypal records, manufacturing costs, auctioneers valuation and repair costs in the case of damage claims.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure