why is it taking so long for esa to decide?

Is it true that if somebody has a lot off support like social workers and care workers and receives a social services support package they might not have to go for a ESA medical? Since 2012 I haven't had to go for a medical and have been awarded support group twice. I have a major psychiatric diagnosis and a mild LD, take antipsychotics by injection and am on a community treatment order. I'm worried because my social worker sent my sea renewal back and they received it on the 2nd of June and my appointee has not heard anything since and I'm worried, every time my support staff ring the assessers they say ring back in a week because they haven't got decision yet. My social worker keeps telling me not to worry as I'll be okay because I live in 24/7 supported living and receive a large social services budget and get a lot of support but I'm really worrid.

Do you think that somebody with a lot of support would be okay, do they leave people alone if that person has social workers and support staff to fight their corner?

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    if they're waiting for a decision it sounds very much like no face to face assessment was necessary. the same thing happened to me.

i sent off forms at the beginning of april, phoned in mid june to be told it was with the decision makers.
    i got an award letter in the middle of July.

how long a decision takes is really nothing to do with your claim, it is to do with the workload of the decision maker
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2017 at 8:48PM
    Phone HAAS 0800 2777888 ask them

"Have I got a live referral for ESA, WCA?"
    If they say No, ask, "Has my ESA50 been received and has my report been sent to the DWP?" (If they have sent the report to DWP, you will not be face to face assessed and it is just a formality of waiting for the DWP decision which cannot be a fail....say "Thank you good bye")
    If they say Yes, (live referral and ESA50 recvd), ask "Is it still at Pre-Board-Check?"
    ...........if they say Yes...say "Thank you good bye" this means they have your documents and they are waiting for your doctor to reply, or they have all they need and are waiting for a decision to be made if you will be face to face or not.
    ...........if they say No (i.e your case has gone past Pre Board Check), ask.."Am I to be called for an exam?"

Essentially,
    Live referral, = you are waiting on a HAAS action
    No Live referral, = you want to know why it is not live anymore, could be
    • Failed to return ESA50
    • Failed to attend face to face WCA
    • Report has been written and sent to DWP.

If report has been sent to DWP, then it is just a formality and DWP will decide either WRAG or SG in due course.
  • nicetomeetyou
    nicetomeetyou Posts: 310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2017 at 10:13AM
    my support worker just rang the assessment people again and asked them why is it taking so long, the women said they are waiting for a doctor to read through my file and will then make a decision. Is it normal for a doctor to read through peoples paperwork before they invite your to a medical or put you in a group?

What I mean is it is normal for a doctor to look through you paperwork instead of the assessors just sending you straight to a medical to be seen by a health care professional or doctor. Do doctors look at clients assessment forms or because a doctor is looking through them they are more likely to put me in the support group without a medical like they have done 2 times before?
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,592 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Yes that is totally normal.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Is it normal for a doctor to read through peoples paperwork before they invite your to a medical or put you in a group?

Yes it's perfectly normal, particularly for a re-assessment. If the doctor can see from the reports that the condition hasn't changed or improved there is every probability that a decision to continue the benefit will be made on that basis.
    To be honest though, as you have an appointee they should be finding out this information for you, not leaving you to worry about it.
  • My social worker told me in June and wanted to ask me if I had anything he wanted to say, he filled it in and my appointee sighed it, I've been worried every nice,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure