Late CCJ instalment...

Options
Hi,
I really hope somebody can give me some advice!

My partner has a CCJ for an old mobile phone bill that was forgotten about. We managed to agree a monthly instalment plan for £70 per month, and have always paid on time (if not early) each month. This months payment is due today, however we don't have enough funds to pay until Thursday (so it would be 4 days late).

Would this mean further court/bailiff action would be taken, or should we be ok to pay a few days late and then continue with the payment plan as planned from next month?

Any advice would be welcomed urgently as I am worrying about it a lot!

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

I wouldn't panic, further action by the creditor would cost them more money.

Give them a quick ring in the morning and tell them the payment will be with them on Thursday, they should put a note on your account to that effect, and as long as its paid, i doubt you'll hear any more about it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Charliefred1
    Options
    Ok, that's reassuring! Thank you :)
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Charliefred and welcome to MSE,

Unfortunately, I wouldn't completely agree with what sourcrates has said. If you make a payment late under instalments of a CCJ then there is a risk of further action. It is by no means a certainty, but it is a risk. If this were to happen you would get notice in the post of the action being taken. For example, you get 7 days warning before a bailiff visit (known as a notice of enforcement) and you can apply to vary the CCJ again and suspend the bailiffs. If you receive notice of any court enforcement then get in touch with one of the free debt charities for more help.

It is worth getting in touch with the creditor and trying to reason with them. They may agree to the payment on Thursday and take no other action. Try and get them to agree to the later payment in writing, to make it a bit more binding, and take further advice if they are difficult when you speak to them. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure